A Day Out With Steveg's Rcdigs Mount

Y'all probably read my review of the RCDIGS mount for the stock Deus 2 shaft, if not it's here:

I made a few suggestions on that review, helped him with some other stuff, and was honored with the opportunity to try the right handed version for his Deus 2 shaft.

The best way to show the mount is, well, mounted. 😀20240123_164454.thumb.jpg.09ae38326f552e81f6da8fc4104f6fdf.jpg

You can see that it has a right hand tilt to make it easier to see the D2 screen, the other one I have on the stock D2 rig is the "straight" version, and there will be a left hand version as well.

I have to say I really like the right hand version. I also appreciate the thought put into it to allow the waveguide to exit the shaft and feed up the side tube to the top of the unit.

20240124_210411.thumb.jpg.726384d3780dd8e3b4ea0f13379c3f72.jpg

You probably can't feed the waveguide without removing the mount first, and make sure you don't attach it to the coil before you get it all back together. It's easy to do, this version screws into the shaft.

The purpose of this mount is to completely eliminate the worry of losing your RC, either land or sea. It's rugged, well made, and very secure. If you're a water hunter and have his shaft for your Deus, to me this would be a requirement.

@steveg really cares about his customers, and I have to say this is above and beyond. 

20240123_164418.thumb.jpg.424686b5a140f5cf7a0be0136c964db7.jpg

I'm pretty sure he will be making them available soon! 

Thanks, F350!  I appreciate your kind words, and your thoughts on the mount.  I am so glad to hear you are pleased with it thus far!

Yep, they will be available soon; I know there are a number of loyal "RCDigs mount" users out there, and for some, they like it so much that moving to a shaft that doesn't "mate with" their RCDigs mount is enough of a negative that for them it offsets some of the advantages that my shaft otherwise offers.  So, looking into the possibility of having a version of the RCDigs mount that DOES fit my shaft, simply made sense to me.  Fortunately, it turned out that the gentleman who builds these is a VERY nice guy, and was quite willing to tackle the project, being very open to the idea of us collaborating a bit on how to optimize the design for my shaft.  He's quite talented, and very easy to work with, and I'm glad that this allowed the project to come to fruition. 

There's no doubt in my mind that, while adding incremental improvements (locking mechanism, for example) to the stock XP mount design is helpful, and works well for many, the better way to tackle the issue is a complete redesign of the manner in which the control box attaches to the shaft.  The XP solution simply is inadequate, from my view, but during the design of my shaft, it was readily apparent that the investment required to create a fully redesigned, injection-molded mount would have pushed the cost of the shaft beyond what I felt was reasonable (due to the expense of purchasing such a complex injection mold).  So, ultimately, I decided to forego that, in favor of the simpler (and less expensive) XP-style mount, but with added locking mechanism.  But, that said, I still felt that a full redesign would have been the better solution, were it not for cost.  Fortunately, this mount offers the type of redesign that I felt was optimal, and at a fairly reasonable upgrade cost ($40 shipped)...

Thanks!

Steve