The Digs Mount: My Thoughts

Bottom line up front: A superior accessory. Perfectly designed for securing and viewing the controller.

I had the opportunity to evaluate the newly designed RCdigs mount that was made especially for Steve Goss’ Deus shaft.   In short, I’m very favorably impressed.  So much so that I’ll be contacting Steve to order a second one….the digs mount will be a permanent part of both my Deus II systems.

Build Quality. My first impression upon unboxing it was how solidly it was constructed.  Nothing like you might expect from those 3D printed items.  This thing was built to last and function flawlessly as intended.  The edges are smooth, the fit and finish are truly professional in every way.

Design.   The design was obviously conceived by someone who actually detects with a Deus II.  Imagine that!   I needed a left swing design so Steve and Ryan (the maker) quickly accommodated me with one of their prototypes for evaluation purposes.  I could tell right off the bat this mount was extremely well thought out.  The mounting end is threaded just like Steve’s regular mount with the exception that the digs mount was manufactured with a channel in the threaded area to accommodate the Deus antenna for underwater hunting.  This channel was an inspired idea in my view.  You can thread the antenna up through Steve’s shaft, lay the running end in the channel and then screw in the digs mount effortlessly.  You can then feed the running end up through the mount and secure it using the top section of the digs mount which is secured with two knobbed thumb screws.  Ingenious. 

image.jpeg.2a60dca6a04a0894caaf33c1d4540a3f.jpeg

Speaking of water hunting, the top and bottom are of a “mesh looking” design which allows water to drain efficiently. 

image.jpeg.28c8b1a79624449319bd7134e83ec6aa.jpeg

Functionality. In the field, I can tell you that the controller will never fall off again…bank vault secure!  I also found the tilted design enables the controller to face you directly.  Much easier to view the screen without having to tilt the Deus itself as I did in the past to reduce any screen reflection.  The whole thing was very comfortable to view and reach/manipulate the Deus buttons. 

image.jpeg.d1d44896050ea0922b314972f8d526ac.jpeg

I initially thought this mount might be a bit cumbersome adding weight and bulk to the sleek Deus system.  Yes, it does add a minuscule amount of weight and the controller area is larger than the controller alone but not enough to cause any concern whatsoever.  In fact, I can honestly say that I hardly noticed the weight as the overall balance negates any perceived additional weight.  The benefits of perfect security and viewing angle far outweighed any downside I only imagined before I actually used it.

Summary. The digs mount, as designed jointly by Steve and Ryan, is a wonderful piece of kit that provides excellent security for the controller, enhanced viewing of the screen, better internal antenna design and enhanced ease of installation and use overall.  As I said, I’ll be contacting Steve for another digs mount very soon!

Great job guys…..

image.jpeg

Colonel --

Thanks for providing your thoughts!  Good stuff, and sounds like you haven't had any issues, or see anything that needs to be changed, which is what I was hoping/expecting (since 90% of it is not "new," but instead the same as the "standard" RCDigs mount).  I have marked you down for a second one, once we're ready to begin production...won't be long!

Thank you!

Steve