Thought I Would Post What Happened Today.

Fred and I went to an old plantation today and I can honestly say I've got a bad case of the puzzles.
Fred hunted with the Manticore as usual and I took both the F75 with the 5" DD coil and the Equinox with the Coiltek 10x5. I started hunting with the F75 and within 30 minutes I had dug not one but two wheat pennies, a 1918 and a 1954. I was using the 5" coil, 3 tones, sens at 88, discrimination at 0. Both of these pennies gave a very good 4 way audio. Really couldn't believe it because both the Equinox and Manticore had hunted tirelessly in this area and I was sure it was hunted out. Well anyway, as a test I decided to bury a clad dime in the same area where one of the pennies was at. Nice area at 8" deep and compacted to dirt good and tried the F75 and no issues as long as the coil was directly over the dime, but.
Neither the Manticore or Equinox would give a good enough audio to prompt us to dig. The ID on both detectors had been pulled down well over half of what a dime should indicate. Fred was doubting that a dime was there so we dug it up and then reburied it at 6.5" deep and still the F75 had no problem but both other detectors failed miserably. Spent a lot of time after this pondering the occurrence. I know what is going on but also understand the 5" coil is the ticket to successfully recover at this location. The ground at this site comes alive with low volume iron grunts. One more thing I would like to add is that turning up the sensitivity at this site degrades the audio to an extent almost nothing can be found.
In addition to this the coil needs to be scrubbing the ground. The only other site that exhibits the same type anomalies is one of the old schools where the waste, from coal burning furnaces have been discarded on the school grounds for decades.

• Like 9

This leaves me wondering what is the right number of detectors to own. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Interesting Mark,

Oddly enough I came across a piece of coke that was giving me a lovely 75 on the Deus, and if course one means more. The area was all nails as well. What JCR posted above is pure gospel. 🙂 Keep hunting smart!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Neither the Manticore or Equinox would give a good enough audio to prompt us to dig. The ID on both detectors had been pulled down well over half of what a dime should indicate.

Did you happen to try either the Equinox or Manticore in single frequency say 10 or 15 kHz?

• Like 4

Just curious, was that the Concentric or DD 5 inch coil you were using?

13 hours ago, HardPack said:

Did you happen to try either the Equinox or Manticore in single frequency say 10 or 15 kHz?

Unfortunately not.

12 hours ago, JCR said:

Just curious, was that the Concentric or DD 5 inch coil you were using?

5" DD coil

• Like 1

I truly believe the 6" coil and equinox would have give the same results as the 5" DD coil on the F75.   I had a guy send me his 6" coil for my Equinox a couple years ago to try but opted to get the 10x5 instead.  The 10x5 just sees too much ground at a given moment at this site.