Making A Whites TDI Pro Battery Pack

Asked by a friend to make a battery pack for his new TDI Pro. 4 cell 16.8 volt, most important thing is to buy brand name batteries from a well know source. I like Samsung, Panasonic, Molice, Epoch, Sony, Nitecore.. And most of the time I purchase from the 18650 battery store. One thing as your assembling the battery pack, keep a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher near by, Li-ion batteries can be very dangerous and can short out fast causing injuries and fire. 

I know TDI Pro's are becoming rare but for those that still have them I'm sure many need new batteries so I figured sharing this information may help.

Whites  TDI  Pro Parts list

Panasonic NCR18650GA 3450mAh Li-ion

Pigtail Barrel Plug Connector cable 2.5mm x 5.5mm Male and Female connectors (Male for the Battery pack and Female for the charger)

PVC Clear Heat shrink tube 95mm wide  (I chose clear for Earl but comes in Blue, Black, and Red)

Heat transfer tape 10mm Polyimide Brown

4s 10A 18650 BMS 16.8v Protection module

Tenergy Universal TLP3000 1.5a charger for Li-ion 4 cells 14.8v

Black assorted shrink tubing

Nickel strips assorted 2 inch

Battery Insulating rings   Red

Battery Insulating material   Gray 

18 gauge wire assorted colors   Red-Black-White-Yellow

2 part . 15 minute dry epoxy

Assemble  batteries in the correct order with small amount Epoxy drops between each

3.jpg

Make up nickel ends that will connect to B1 B2 B3 on the PCB and the battery

4.jpg

Measure and fit

5.jpg

Measure and trial fit PCB/BMS board

6 (4).jpg

Connect wires 18 gauge

9.jpg

Weld or solder nickel ends 

10.jpg

Nickel ends welded and ready to connect to PCB's B1 B2 B3

11.jpg

Black to B1  White to B2  Yellow B3

12.jpg

White wire under PCB to B2 ...... notice insulation under PCB

13.jpg

2 Red and 2 Black wires ready ... soldered to Nickel fittings, ready to solder to   .............  B+  B- wire to PCB/BMS

14.jpg

Checking B+  B-   13.60 volts  low charge

16.jpg

P+... P- will be dead until the battery charger is hooked up...it  wakes the battery pack up

15.jpg

Fitting/soldering  5.5 x 2.5 females to the battery charger.. red to red and black to black ..outer shell is Neg, Pin is Positive 

21.jpg

Batt packs on charge, red lights indicate charging

23.jpg

Pic out of place........... but showing male 5.5 x 2.5 barrel plug to P+   P- on the PCB

17.jpg

Insulation is put under the PCB and on both sides of the battery to protect from shorts....Shrink wrap is slide in place and ready for the heat gun to shrink

24.jpg

Two finished 16.8 volt battery Packs

25.jpg

Finished Charger  and Battery packs 

26.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I think your talking about the Kapton tape or Heat transfer tape Polyimide Brown.

I get supplies from .. https://www.batteryspace.com/

And you can get the tape from amazon also.. quality seems to be the same.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kapton+tape&crid=3MB62OW9UDXYY&sprefix=kapton+tape%2Caps%2C111&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:58 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I think your talking about the Kapton tape or Heat transfer tape Polyimide Brown.

I get supplies from .. https://www.batteryspace.com/

And you can get the tape from amazon also.. quality seems to be the same.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kapton+tape&crid=3MB62OW9UDXYY&sprefix=kapton+tape%2Caps%2C111&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

Thank you very much, Sir.

• Like 1

Joe:

in one of your photo's you show what appears to be a small spot welder.  Is it possible to provide details of the device and possible sources?  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cascade Steven said:

Joe:

in one of your photo's you show what appears to be a small spot welder.  Is it possible to provide details of the device and possible sources?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, put a picture up for you. I paid 200 for it in 2020. Makes putting battery packs together easy than soldering. 

Interesting, now they have a new type which I believe is excellent for the hobbyist, great price and does the same thing as mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4NZ74N5?ref=emc_s_m_5_i_n&th=1

SNAG-0003.jpg

Always handy to have all the details to make batteries for machines that are no longer made,i was lucky that when i got my TDI Pro i was able to get a brand new spare battery as well,so currently have 2 of them but must admit i was getting concerned about what will happen when the batteries do finally give out.....but saying that not heard as such any long term issues with them.

Thanks again for sharing the information and also all the components to build these battery packs.

• Like 1