Making A Whites TDI Pro Battery Pack

Joe Beechnut,

Correct me if I'm wrong the TDI uses an 8-cell pk. 2 rows of 4 stacked upon itself. It is rated at 14.4 or 14.8 volts nom., right?

Lastly, I myself would prefer a bigger guage of wire, such as 14 0r 12 for the Amp draw and charging.

Like to hear some feedback on performance in the field on those batteries.

Great job. Thanks for sharing 👍 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TC-AZ said:

Joe Beechnut,

Correct me if I'm wrong the TDI uses an 8-cell pk. 2 rows of 4 stacked upon itself. It is rated at 14.4 or 14.8 volts nom., right?

Lastly, I myself would prefer a bigger gauge of wire, such as 14 0r 12 for the Amp draw and charging.

Like to hear some feedback on performance in the field on those batteries.

Great job. Thanks for sharing 👍 

Correct on the 8 cells I believe.

This was not my machine, I made them for a friend who has the TDI Pro. At first he wanted a 5 cell LI-ion 18650 battery pack which would have been 18 to 21 volts. But for starters, I talked him into something a little milder. We went with the full charged 16.8 volts battery pack.

I've used 14 gauge Silicon wire before on the battery side when I was doing batteries for the Fisher AQ PI, on the TDI Pro I copied what the stock battery used. I will keep you informed on the performance once Mr. Earl gets out, which I expect this coming summer?

I'm sure the combo will work much better then the stocker for it is similar to the AQ 16.8 volt 18650 batteries that I did a few years ago... 4 and 8 cell. The NiMH/ NiCd Battery pack that came with the Fisher was good for a poor 3.5 hours, (same batteries as the TDI Pro's, stock batteries)..... my shorty Li-ion 4 cell pushed it to 5.5+ hours and the 8 cell got 11+ hours. Also did a few experimental batteries for the AQ playing around with different size Li-ions. I do like the sizes 21700 and 26500 but than the weight becomes a issue.

20200927_104133.jpg

The TDI Pro batteries were really simple, the AQ batteries I had to design a submersible pod, stock Fisher Battery on the right..

20210503_155135.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Those hours you gave are very respectable for battery usage. Keep up the good work.

On my Whites TDI Li ion battery pks; if I'm not using for a couple of months (say 4-6), I will put them back on the charger to top them off. It seems that they deplete sooner than what I expected... Oh Well.

In the near future, I will no doubt put together a new set of Li Ion pks like you shown.  Thanks again

TC-AZ

• Like 1

I have posted this question elsewhere, so please admin/mods remove either if innaproriate.

I have converted a #802-7150 and #802-5321 battery packs now that hold 4x18650 batteries that can be used in my TDI SL in dry weather and the TDI BeachHunter when it rains.

My question is this:  With the extra voltage of the 4x18650s, will the original cable from contacts inside battery compartment of both models to the 2510 connector on main board be sufficient?

Should that cable be changed?  If so, what should the awg be?

I have not seen this issue discussed anywhere despite lots of posts on numerous forums worldwide extolling the advantages of the extra voltage.

Is it safe to use existing wire?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 4:14 PM, Roger said:

I have posted this question elsewhere, so please admin/mods remove either if innaproriate.

I have converted a #802-7150 and #802-5321 battery packs now that hold 4x18650 batteries that can be used in my TDI SL in dry weather and the TDI BeachHunter when it rains.

My question is this:  With the extra voltage of the 4x18650s, will the original cable from contacts inside battery compartment of both models to the 2510 connector on main board be sufficient?

Should that cable be changed?  If so, what should the awg be?

I have not seen this issue discussed anywhere despite lots of posts on numerous forums worldwide extolling the advantages of the extra voltage.

Is it safe to use existing wire?

Maybe Carl can answer that one for I am not sure what the stock TDI internal wires are. Just my opinion from what I have worked with, 18 gauge is fine... and I think that is what the stock TDI batteries use? As far as internally I never had either the TDI SL or beach hunter. I do know of one BH owner who went to the 4 18650 cell battery packs and he has had no issues. I used his machine a few times out for depth testing.

This I do know ... on the Excalibur I ran a Li-po 16.8 battery, the battery wires were 18g right to the board. Wires never got warm but the board sure does. I've since went to 3 Li-ion at 12.5 volts for the Excalibur. 

If you seen the wires that went to the battery on the Fisher AQ most would freak. Stock the machine runs 16.8 volts (I think 8 NiMH batteries)... The two white looking wires have two smaller wires inside each. One for the current and the other audio. I do believe they are 20g/22g or less. I now run 4 cell 16.8v like yours on the AQ now. Guess I have close to 100 plus hours between two machines.

Just my opinion again, most 18650s have low Amps.. the ones I use most of the time are only 4.9 and 8 with such a short wire .. .. less then 6 inches from the board to the battery I would be more concerned about the heat on the board. I know that worries me on the AQ (132F), but luckily I do hunt in the water. Which I think more or less.. water cooled? Wait, now condensation is a issue..

1694320200_endcapaq.thumb.jpg.f7c05013062d1d857799a81cbee59f34.jpg

132.jpg

• 2 weeks later...