Gold Specific Vlf Or Smf Vlf For Gold?

Are the gold specific vlf's(gold monster, gb2,gold kruzer,at gold etc) really any better than the smf detectors (legend, equinox 900 etc) with comparable coil sizes?  Would love to hear pros and cons of each from people with experience with both.

For nugget shooting 

From my limited experience with my 2 detectors, a TX-850 (G2 clone) 5" coil and Minelab Vanquish 540 - 8 inch coil, the TX-850 blows the Vanquish away for teensy nuggets. Not a fair test though since 5" vrs 8" coil.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, Ndplumr said:

Are the gold specific vlf's(gold monster, gb2,gold kruzer,at gold etc) really any better than the smf detectors (legend, equinox 900 etc) with comparable coil sizes?  Would love to hear pros and cons of each from people with experience with both.

For nugget shooting 

Maybe this little report will help. Just click on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Maybe this little report will help. Just click on it.

Thank you. That is a pretty good report, and is full of information.  Seems like the legend in Goldfield seemed to just squeeze out a win. But all in all the monster and xp in 74 kHz seem pretty comparable and hold their ground. It also showed me a good example of how the lower kHz machines suffer compared to the higher frequency machines. I probably should start using the search feature more, as I'm sure some of you are tired of the same questions being asked over and over.  Thanks again. Your input is appreciated for sure.

32 minutes ago, Ndplumr said:

Thank you. That is a pretty good report, and is full of information.  Seems like the legend in Goldfield seemed to just squeeze out a win. But all in all the monster and xp in 74 kHz seem pretty comparable and hold their ground. It also showed me a good example of how the lower kHz machines suffer compared to the higher frequency machines. I probably should start using the search feature more, as I'm sure some of you are tired of the same questions being asked over and over.  Thanks again. Your input is appreciated for sure.

It's a great question and hard to answer with a simple Yes or No.

Ground mineralization, ground moisture conditions and general size of the gold in the area dictate everything.

That is one thing that makes a selectable single frequency detector like the XP ORX so much fun. It is so adjustable, but it is handcuffed by coil selection. Same for the Gold Monster 1000 and even the Garrett Gold Master 24K since coil selection for those two is very limited and unlike the ORX, they are also stuck on one frequency which may or may not be the best frequency for the ground conditions and gold in the area. They also do not have the settings flexibility of the ORX. Being able to change the recovery speed settings, threshold settings and seriously micro manage the ground balancing of the ORX is really helpful. It will keep detecting in areas where the GM1000 and GM 24K have to really have their sensitivity levels reduced just to keep going.

I would definitely add the Nokta Gold Kruzer to your list especially if you need a waterproof dedicated gold prospecting VLF detector.

Deus 2 was handcuffed by its 9" coil in this test due to EMI and because it just isn't as sensitive as a smaller elliptical. It is a fantastic detector that is competitive even for gold prospecting and its Mono selectable single frequency mode works great and is highly adjustable.

The Legend really can do it all even at much lower sensitivity levels than the other detectors used. Like the Equinox 800 and 900, it also has a wide variety of available coils that can hit the small gold nugget bits and larger, deeper stuff too and those detectors are waterproof.

These newer gold prospecting capable SMF detectors really can do it all and have other great features too like fully functioning selectable single frequency operation, internal rechargeable lithium batteries, wireless Bluetooth audio and fantastic ergonomics. Most importantly, their simultaneous multi frequency technology simply handles tough ground conditions better than any dedicated gold prospecting single frequency VLF.  It's a lot to think about and consider.

So, I would answer your question like this: those very famous dedicated gold prospecting detectors get the job done very well. So do these latest simultaneous multi frequency/selectable single frequency detectors.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I would definitely add the Nokta Gold Kruzer to your list

Glad to hear you say that as the GK is already in my inventory! I like the GK alot, and it has a decent coil selection.  I also have a tried and true Gb2 . My wife has the f75 with the stock coil and the little 5" Puck. I guess I shouldn't leave out the vaquero or the Atx either. In my testing, all my vlf's seem to be pretty close on a 1 grainer. The ATX seems to need .13 gram or better to show itself at all. My soil is moderately mineralized according to my GK.  All I'm really missing right now is a good smf. I've considered the legend, but have read complaints about the layout of the display.  I will have an opportunity at a lightly used nox 900 in the near future, and am considering that. And you are right for sure, there are so many variables that a yes or no answer isn't only hard, it would be a flat out lie. I'm probably going overboard for a person who has yet to step foot on  known gold bearing soil, but I'm chomping at the bit, and when the weather finally permits it, I want to have the right tool with for the job, and hopefully some luck to go with it.

• Like 1

I don't know where you live in Elko County, but I have a friend who made some good finds around Tuscarora way back with VLF detectors and came up with a 1 oz rock & gold sandwich there 5 years ago with a GPZ. I've never detected there, but it has lots of history and placer output.

1 minute ago, YubaJ said:

I don't know where you live in Elko County, but I have a friend who made some good finds around Tuscarora way back with VLF detectors and came up with a 1 oz rock & gold sandwich there 5 years ago with a GPZ. I've never detected there, but it has lots of history and placer output.

Tuscarora is one of the places I'm researching.  I posted a thread asking if anyone had detected out there, and all I got was crickets lol I took that as it must be so good, nobody wants to talk about it lol  I'm actually pretty sure I've got gold within a mile of my house,  but unfortunately I believe it to be of the carlin type deposits,  so not even a good Ole gold pan will recover it for me.  I WILL find gold this year. At $4/gal diesel fuel, I'm guessing it will be a $1000 1 grain flake, but worth a million in entertainment. 

• Like 3

A good book for you might be "Mineral Resources of Elko County, Nevada", Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology. Bulletin 106, 1991, by Lapoint, Tingley, & Jones, probably in stock from University of Nevada publications, or even at the Carlin Trend store in Elko. This book will have you using plenty of diesel!

I think you're right about the lack of Tuscarora response. And nobody talks about Gold Creek.

• Like 1