The Future Of Detecting

Don't get too excited about about this this load of BS from Woody. The truth about 'his' big loop is that Bruce Candy brought a setup as described here to Maryborough in Victoria way back in 1990. 

I was at that time sharing a house with Ian Jacques and John Hider- Smith on a small property on the western side of Maryborough. We were testing the first PI detectors built in Australia when Bruce came up with the idea of a big circular loop that could be assembled over ground suspected of holding big gold. The idea being that the loop would be the Tx while the operator would use a Rx detector only.

This seemed like a good in idea in theory but in practice it had more bugs than a Bangkok dormitory. After much perseverance the idea was abandoned, although Bruce may have patented it. It is laughable that Woody claims to have come up with this concept when it fact it was a far more competent person involved in the original idea.

If this ever came to fruition it would be enormously expensive and a lot more complex than intimated in the video. A snowball's chance in hell of it ever seeing the light of day. If it were feasible, Bruce would have already developed it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ive been detecting so long to remember the same concept being trialed and even built by several elec engineers. Compass Electronics even made a commercial system called the 'Depth Doubler' which was only a few hundred bucks back in the 90's. The use of a GPS lock to sync the position of the receive coil onto the location is the only thing that Woody can actually patent I think...everything else is already public domain. The concept is sound in theory AND practice, but lots of hurdles to overcome, mostly to do with the receive end I suspect. Perhaps the GPS lock is whats needed. It may have merit, but don't hold your breath waiting...., its Woody after all 😉 

• Like 2

I seriously doubt that the big loop concept is practical, as if it was it would have been used by the pro prospectors, and what's more Minelab would have been all over it like the tar baby over brer rabbit. If Bruce Candy could not sort out the bugs and shelved the project that tells me that it was not a 'goer'.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

I seriously doubt that the big loop concept is practical, as if it was it would have been used by the pro prospectors, and what's more Minelab would have been all over it like the tar baby over brer rabbit. If Bruce Candy could not sort out the bugs and shelved the project that tells me that it was not a 'goer'.

Could be many factors that lead to it being undeveloped. Bruce knows his stuff but who knows? I have my doubts that Woody is onto something but time will tell....

• Like 1