XP Deus 2 With 9" Coil Vs Manticore With M8 Coil

On 2/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

So yeah Hugh while I am more comfortable with Minelab the fact is I may have to be an old dog learning new XP tricks. I am at a point where I want to pick one machine and be as expert as I can be with it as opposed to bouncing between two.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s the easy answer in these forums - just own both. That however is of no help to the large number of people for whom these are expensive investments of money needed to pay bills. Or who don’t want 6 detectors cluttering up the place.

Between the two posts you've detailed three reasons:  learning time, cost, and storage.  In my case #1 drove me to the Manticore over the Deus 2.  But, always trying to be open-minded, I'm not sure I made the right choice.  Still, I learned from the Equinox that, for me, it takes a long time to really get familiar with a new (complicated) detector.  I haven't seen any world beater performance with the Manticore yet, but I don't expect that.  Every other time I take it out it gets a bit more comfortable (mentally, that is).  I expect that to continue.

• Like 4

I will follow this post carefully.

Although I don't yet own a Manticore, after a year and a half using the Deus 2 with 9" coil, although it is an effective and sensitive tool on really thin pieces, I am extremely displeased with the much scattered concentration of low conductors IDs.

I won't add anything else and I don't want to polemic, but if a solution doesn't come in a future update, I will sell the Deus 2 for a Manticore, even at the expense of lower detection depth and lower resistance in immersion depth.

• Like 2

Here are semi realistic direct comparison results for small gold nuggets and a USA nickel test of Deus 2 9" coil versus Manticore M8 coil.

Deus 2 version 2.0 FMF Goldfield, Disc IAR 0, Sensitivity 95 of 99*****please note*****, reactivity 2, audio response 3, threshold 4.

Manticore Goldfield Multi, Prospecting audio, no discrimination, Sensitivity 20 of 35 ******please note***** recovery speed 4, threshold 4.

I used a pair of Nokta Legend headphones and a wired audio cable with both detectors. EMI was an issue. 

I used a 0.05 gram nugget and a 0.15 gram nugget under 1" of moderately to highly iron mineralized Arizona gold field dirt. This dirt's magnetite mineralization almost filled up the Deus 2 iron mineralization meter. 

I used a 0.25 gram nugget under 3" of the same dirt.

I used a 5 gram USA modern nickel under 4" of the same dirt

Any depths reported beyond those were "air gap" depths swinging the coils an inch or a few inches above the top surface of the dirt.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b7d835c653360852d15db9b2c12c0b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c0d1969b3ad6d3c6a4e3f767272af354.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab9e3add08bde13044bc2bf74d74891e.jpeg

Here are the results of each detector giving 2 way hits.

0.05 gram nugget under 1" of AZ dirt no air gap:         Deus 2 Good 2 way hits. Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.05 gram nugget under 1" of AZ dirt and 1" air gap:   Deus 2 No response.       Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.15 gram nugget under 1" of AZ dirt and 1" air gap:    Deus 2 Good 2 way hits. Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.15 gram nugget under 1" of AZ dirt and 2" air gap:   Deus 2 Weak 2 way hits.  Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.25 gram nugget under 3" of AZ dirt  no air gap:        Deus 2 Good 2 way hits. Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.25 gram nugget under 3" of AZ dirt and 1" air gap:   Deus 2 No response.       Manticore Good 2 way hits

0.25 gram nugget under 3" of AZ dirt & 1.5" air gap:    Deus 2 No response.       Manticore Weak 2 way hits

5 gram US nickel under 4 " of AZ dirt no air gap:       Deus 2 Good 2 way ID 62. Manticore Good 2 way ID 26

Those target IDs were correct.

5 gram US nickel under 4" of AZ dirt and 2" air gap: Deus 2 Fair 2 way ID 00.    Manticore Good 2 way ID 26

Manticore target ID correct.

5 gram US nickel under 4" of AZ dirt and 5" air gap: Deus 2 Weak 2 way no ID: Manticore Weak 2 way ID 56 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

5 gram US nickel under 4" of AZ dirt and 5" air gap: Deus 2 Weak 2 way no ID: Manticore Weak 2 way ID 56 

This figure makes me think a lot about the allocation difference between the two...

Thank you!

• Like 1