Dead Tenements, Are They Important And Why? For Western Australia

4 minutes ago, kingswood said:

most of the time I use surface geo, then use mag imaging to define faults and structures.

hi Kingswood,

What surface do u mainly look for May I ask? I have seen people saying AB, CZL, AU. I have only realised to read suface geo last week. lol 

Also as for fault and fractures, I thought you can see them from bedrock geo map anyway? So why would you use mag? 

lately I have been looking at Laverton and in some E tenements there are a few dead SPL and live SPL. Would you reckon around the SPLs there are still good chance to have a look? I assume the good gold won’t come up alone? 

some YouTubers said the more intense the drill holes are the more prospective, what do you think if this ? 

Kind regards,

ethan

1 hour ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

What surface do u mainly look for May I ask? I have seen people saying AB, CZL, AU. I have only realised to read suface geo last week. lol 

In WA, an easy focus is any igneous or Volcanic rock types (schist, Diorite, granite etc) and keep within 5km distance of these. Plus North or South of known gold mining areas. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

hi Kingswood,

Also as for fault and fractures, I thought you can see them from bedrock geo map anyway? So why would you use mag? 

lately I have been looking at Laverton and in some E tenements there are a few dead SPL and live SPL. Would you reckon around the SPLs there are still good chance to have a look? I assume the good gold won’t come up alone? 

some YouTubers said the more intense the drill holes are the more prospective, what do you think if this ? 

Kind regards,

ethan

I mostly use the 1:100,000 maps, so looking at contacts where the greenstones have come into contact with granite or with ultramafics are always worth a look. Rrf is laterite and is often worth looking at. Its essentially the same as CZL on the older maps. The thing about laterite though is that its in a lot of places and a lot of it doesnt have gold. I tend to look at laterite that is within areas of greenstones or ultramafics. Mag imaging then is often useful as it can show whats beneath the laterite. This is important as the gold in the laterite comes from the bedrock source, so laterite that formed on gold bearing bedrock, may often have gold. I would advise you to have a quick read of some of Butt's work into supergene gold. Areas of "wash", so the colluvial and alluvial units, are often worth looking at also if surrounded by geo thats favourable to gold formation.

Bedrock Geo isnt as good as mag imaging in showing faults especially smaller splay faults. Mag imaging allows better definition of where the faults are and what smaller faults may be coming off the main faults. Often gold is more associated with the splay faults than with the main fault. Some of the faults dont even show up on Geoview mag imaging, but do show up on company aeromag imaging so often I try and find that too. Often its hidden in company reports or appendices to their reports.

Dead SPL's always worth looking at using a 40E on the live E 🙂 generally they usually mean that someone found something worth pegging and then going thru the often long process of getting a SPL approved. detecting around the old SPL's is always a good plan as been in an area where gold has been previously often means there is more gold around. In places like that its worth looking at the geo of the SPL and seeing how far that similar or same geo extends around the area.

Drill hole results are good to look at as it may give an idea of where the gold could be. Higher results from drill holes may not be economic for mining, but can guide the detectorist about where gold could be. Surface sampling the same. I usually would look at the results and plot the results (either sampling or drill hole) into google earth to see if there is any pattern to it. Sometimes you end up finding a pattern and can sort of make sense of which way a gold source may be running. I tend to favour surface samples over drill hole results mainly as the surface sampling is often closer together. 

So in summary: Some people are happy to just wander around areas that look prospective for gold, while others like lots of homework ha ha 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1