How Accurate Is The E1500's Target Discrimination In The Field?

I haven't heard much about the accuracy of the E1500's target discrimination from those already using it in the field.. On the beach I rely on TIDs along with tones to work out what the target is before digging.. I like the idea of a PI detector with target IDs based on the conductivity and shape of the target.. On relatively stable ground (wet/dry salty sand) this target info will be very handy to help distinguish between low conductive gold rings and higher conductive junk like raggedy shaped bottle tops and pull-rings.. 

Also, how stable is the E1500s TID in the field on small low conductive targets? Air test show the TID locking on pretty hard but is that also the case in the wild? 

If your feedback on the E1500's TID turns out the way I'm hoping, it could make a good tool to complement my VLF detectors on the beach.. It would be a step up from my old GPX5000 on really rubbishy beaches, especially on historical ones where there's a few silver coins buried amongst loads of crap targets.. It'd be great to have some idea of what the target is before digging at these spots..

Thank you for your feedback!     

@phrunthas done some testing and videos on it. He seems impressed 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for those links Lead Detector, can't believe I've missed them! I even follow Phrunt's Youtube channel.. Been out off the new PI loop too long.. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the e1500 topic exploded and was hard to keep up with every post. 

• Like 1

The Target ID appears to be very stable, I think part of the reason for this is it's a non-motion ID, so you use the pinpoint function and get the target so it's got the best signal strength, at this point you stop and leave the coil still sitting on the ground, it will then give you the ID, this ID is generally very solid.  Even very small targets can give a good accurate ID.  With a motion Target ID like the Equinox for example you're swinging over the target over and over again looking at the ID's and they may and do often change around a fair bit, the Algo would too if it was a motion Target ID, as when you're centring the target under the coil in pinpoint mode you do get other ID's not just the actual ID, its only when you've got it centred and sit it still you get the solid ID.   I hope that makes sense.  

Keep in mind it's not an ID like a VLF, it doesn't discriminate iron against other metals the same way.  Iron could be anywhere depending on size, a bit of a clue to iron though when you're moving the pinpoint around trying to get it centred on the target it can and often does hit an ID of 99, way higher than a good target like a coin or jewellery will hit during the same process, it's also a lot more unstable when pinpointing it.

I'm going to be doing a lot more experimenting with the Target ID and hopefully I make my way to a beach soon and do some exploring there, it's also easier to bury targets in sand so I'll have a play and see depths I can find stuff, then I'll go looking for stuff 🙂  It looks like you would be able to cherry pick the Aussie Goldie coins though Erik.   Once I've made it to the beach, I'll film some video of it doing stuff.

I think the Target ID feature is one of the coolest and best things about the Algoforce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope that makes sense.

That makes a lot of sense Phrunt, thanks again for your clear explanations.. Also thanks in advance for the beach stuff, I'm especially interested in how it performs on small gold targets..

I agree there's nothing cooler than a PI detector with target ID numbers, I always wished my GPX 5000 had that feature.. I always found it hard to wrap my hearing around its high-low or low-high tones on different targets, especially in working out their size and depth..

Having target info expressed as a number is a big help on the beach when distinguishing between small gold rings and the most common junk like bottle tops and ring-pulls.. On the Nox and D2, the TIDs of gold rings are often the same as junk targets.. I'm hoping the E1500 might be better at telling them apart.. 

Iron targets are rare on my beaches except at some of the historical ones, where there used to be buildings or boat jetties.. This is also where old silver coins are found but I'm sure the E1500 can pick a shilling from a horseshoe..  

Looking forward to seeing your next field tests, thanks again for sharing the results..   

• Like 2

I think calibration of responses with the pinpointer will be a helpful tool.  We get reference sounds already of that nice, mellow gold sound out looking for nuggets and I like the sound of a nice, round ring.  

Unfortunately the bane of beach hunting right now for me are the Shield Pennies.  When salt has been added to them they can come in at anywhere from 10 - 25 on the 800 scale so I'm thinking they would be difficult for the 1500 to categorize.  I'm wondering a consistent reference for a bobby pin or the old faithful nickel.  

How will the shape of an object influence the response?

One thing for sure is that an audio response has a greater scale than a digital screen.  That would just be an assist.  My hearing aids could be a better feature than the scale.

• Like 1