Any Peeps On Here Who Regret Purchasing The Mighty Manticore?

2 hours ago, longbow62 said:

My 800 was well past it's warranty expiration. I needed to upgrade. I had a D2 on pre-order, but I decided to wait for Minelab and cancelled it. Two buddies did get the D2. I think from what I've seen it's a great detector worthy of all the praise it gets. I got the manticore Jan. 10th 2023. My second hunt with it in a very trashy yard from a recent tear down I got 3 silvers. I took it back to several places my buddies and I had worn out with various detectors including the 800 and I found more silver. I was finding multiple silvers in several of the places we had given up on finding any more. I think the Manticore is kinda tricky to learn. It did take many hunts to feel confident with it. I still don't think I completely know the detector yet.    

Your experience is very similar to mine.

I feel better now since I thought maybe I was the only one finding silver after silver on "hunted out" Deus 1/Equinox 800 pounded sites using Deus 2 and the Manticore.

Glad the Manticore is working well for you too.

No regrets here! I have found silver in parks which have been pounded by the 800 and other machines. One thing that I noticed was, when I first got the Equinox I got signals that were obvious "dig me" signals that turned out to be silver. On the Manticore the remaining signals have been more iffy but I was still able to squeeze out a few more finds from the same places. Yes, I have dug a bit more iron, but it has been worth it for me.

I just tried the M8 a couple of days ago and was generally pleased. Nice and light, great separation. As others have mentioned, it does up-average more than the M11. I got a solid signal in the 90s that turned out to be a wheat at 6 inches. As long as you recognize this, I guess it does not matter too much.

The target trace is useful, but I must admit that I do not feel like I have mastered it yet. More information is always better in my book. As far a the Deus 2, I have not tried it, but the stuck pig squeals that come out of the XP machines have never appealed to me. Just my opinion of course.

I've noticed it's possible to have a good tone and numbers, but the 2D screen is more like a blob than a nice tight circle on the center line. I can't think of a time a single blob/fuzzy circle sitting directly on the center line has been a good target while hunting ground that is somewhat trash free and mild. I have noticed trends in the 2D, although like others I am currently using it for one more extra piece of added info and not the only piece of info and not the be all end in deciding to dig or not. You can also see multiple targets so that's nice to be able to see. Depending on how trashy a place is will determine just how much you can trust the 2D on the I.D. being correct. I think overall the 2D is a useful tool and it's nice to have it on the main screen.    

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

I can't think of a time a single blob/fuzzy circle sitting directly on the center line has been a good target while hunting ground that is somewhat trash free and mild.

Let me get this straight, because I might be misunderstanding what you wrote.  In ideal conditions (low or no trash), you still don't see a clean, small disk even for shallow (say 3" or less deep) targets?

What I am saying is in realitively clean mild ground blobs are junk. A nice tight round circle is mostly coins or something that is a homogeneous metal (could be aluminum for instance) that is the size of coins. I hunt a place that has a lot of melted metal of various sizes. On the 2D you can weed the junk out because coins are mostly always a nice tight perfectly round circle.

Even though the tone and I.D. would make you think that's possibly a coin the 2D shows melted metal as a blob not a tight circle.

Thought I'd comment since I'm an "L" as well.  I noticed on the 2D screen that certain sinkers/fishing weights (shaped like a barrel) are tight circles but fall about a circle diameter below the center line, in my case around "52".  Most time I just dig everything by single sound (underwater boosted), but in real trashy areas use 2D screen to cherry pick, as best I can.

Love the machine and its performance in the field, glad I purchased it.