Let's Talk Small Bits!

My 800 also does fine on the small bits, but I haven't got any that fine yet!!🏆Like you said, more of a challenge to get, and keep in the scoop! Pretty much solved that problem by not sifting much in my technique, as many do, but kick and spread up the beach, and pinpoint!

My power switch recently bit the dust on my 800, so I will have to pay for a new Pod, as it's out of warranty! But worth the effort! Keep up the good work!🍀👍👍

• Like 1

My 800 with the 10x5 on it has found me good solid gold in a few creek beds that I have been sluicing in. Most of our gold is flour gold but once in a while you get a nugget about the size of bird shot. I have used it a lot to find gold bearing ground around here and it has always put us on it to sluice.

Very fine detector with the right coils on it and easy to use.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

My 800 with the 10x5 on it has found me good solid gold in a few creek beds that I have been sluicing in.

Hey @Valens Legacy, are you using the 800 for prospecting in the location you have posted to your profile? 

I've thought about the possibilities of using a detector here in south-central(ish) IN for hitting exposed bedrock and shallow gravel deposits, but the areas I work are locked up in state forests where detectors are prohibited. Panning only, no sluices.

It's frustrating because several of the creeks in the state forest are on exposed bedrock, and there are all kinds of promising crevices right in the open. On top of that, I've panned out a few <0.02g pieces that'll ring up in gold mode on an 800 and Legend...and I know there's more just begging to be swept over.

Anyways, I was wondering if your circumstances were similar? Like you were saying, the gold here is mainly flour...but there are pickers to be found.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, glacialgold said:

are you using the 800 for prospecting in the location you have posted to your profile? 

Yes I  am.

I have found that when I do get a chance to detect that it is only a very short amount of time due to work.

I only go maybe 15 miles from home and look in creeks on or near farm land with permission of course. I do have a nice size creek that I go to on a regular basis, because there is plenty of flour gold in them.  I will start detecting the sides of the creeks and get a few tones, then I get a few pans full of pay dirt and check it out.. What I like the best near me is a creek that shows some quartz and black sand on the walls and that is the first place I look.

Don't get me wrong about how much you will find in those places, but I have found a few ounces over a year of work. Should the work don't get you the bugs just might. You will be using a pan, a sluice and almost anything you can to get as much as you can. I have even gone to the Salvation Army stores and found some 5 gallon strainers in the cooking area and used those to classify some of the soil so I could run the rest through my sluice. Those do pay for themselves in the long run. I take it that you are in central to southern IN. which is a nice area to be in for gold. I have been to the southern end next to Kentucky and found some nice gold on a few farms down there.

I am located almost 50 miles south of Springfield, IL.

I hope this helps,

Caleb

• Like 4

On 3/24/2024 at 11:21 PM, midalake said:

There were so many fan boys when the D2 came out and how it was going to RULE small everything. Well, we know that did not happen. 
YET, the Equinox never falters and excels at small bits. 

Hey, I resemble this remark! 🤣

For sure at first the D2 did not rule at finding small stuff, but now I'm shocked at what it finds now under V2, even with the 13". 🤔 

20240112_180659.thumb.jpg.84cc5cbdff6bb204a7ec0f6c282b5cd7.jpg

20240201_193632.jpg.0a4d85650f75c7cab930c8575902c604.jpg

20240103_141351.thumb.jpg.eedaaed1379536545734a2d15dbe1d76.jpg

I only have the lowly Equinox 600, and it sure did find a lot of tiny stuff, but most of my hunting with it was the 10x5.

I think it's arguable from a relic hunting standpoint that being able to swing a much lighter detector for more hours at a time has produced some banner finds for me this year, from tiny gold rings to bits of Spanish silver, to small buttons 10+ inches deep like I dug yesterday.

While I'm sure I would have found most of all of it with the 600, it sure was more comfortable using the D2.

It's getting close to beach season for me, I'm excited to get out there with V2 and see what I get. It was in its infancy last year when beach season ended, but I got 2 gold rings in two days in a place I didn't think there were any 🤯

20231023_151041.thumb.jpg.294887fcb5aed94515ebb509e804d9ee.jpg

20231029_171200.thumb.jpg.a6264db4ca024723aae3fabec248500b.jpg

I agree with you man, but it probably has as much to do with your proficiency as a detectorist which you undoubtedly have, your persistence and knowledge of your hunting spots. 👍

🍀

34 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I agree with you man, but it probably has as much to do with your proficiency as a detectorist which you undoubtedly have, your persistence and knowledge of your hunting spots. 👍

Yes, partly. But you still have to have the detector set correctly. [tougher with the D2]  I have no doubt that your land programs react totally different than on this salt beach. 
The Equinox is just killer in salt on Beach 2, 1 tone,  Horseshoe mode on.  

The D2 no doubt could have found this in my older program, But currently running a full tones program with magnetic reject I have my doubts. I had the D2 out yesterday to a different beach that is target laden and I found very few small bits. Which has been the norm over the last month. [we will talk about those beach modes when you're ready!!!] Keep me posted when you go. 😎

• Like 2