Coiltek 10x5 Equinox For Old House Sites

Has anyone used the 10x5 around iron infested home sites. Does it fair any better than the stock 11? I’ve had some success with the stock 11 in colonial and civil war era houses. Would the 10x5 do any better than the 6? 

2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Has anyone used the 10x5 around iron infested home sites. Does it fair any better than the stock 11? I’ve had some success with the stock 11 in colonial and civil war era houses. Would the 10x5 do any better than the 6? 

In my opinion yes, it's still on my Equinox. Ran it against the Deus 2 9" in a real scenario, and really can't say which did better.

There are some who like the 6" and some who like the 10x5. The 10x5 did great for me especially around trees and in tight spaces.

🍀

In my experience the stock 11 coil is really tough to use in heavy trash and especially heavy iron and nail infested sites.It reminds me a lot of my ex Itallian girlfriend after three bottles of vino very irritable and never shuts up.The 6"round works very well with far less falsing and superior separation.I also feel that the Coiltek 10x5 is a very good option in the so called machine gun iron with a little more depth than the 6" round and better coverage.personally I recomend having both. 

Either coil is better in heavy trash than the 11 inch.  I think the 6 inch is a little better at separation than the 10 x 5, that said only because of what makes the 10 x 5 really good, What really stands out on the 10 x 5 is its End Sensitivity, both ends are Exceptionally sensitive compared to most coils, This is Great for getting into tight spots with it's shape and right up to things like rocks with the ends still able to detect at least shallow targets, the center of the coil is about as deep as the 6 inch.

Now the only real downside to the 10 x 5 is Because of that end sensitivity if there are multiple shallow targets it can pick up separate targets at both ends at the same time, or a deeper target in the coil center and another shallow one with a coil end.

The trick is to be aware of that end sensitivity to shallow targets and don't let it confuse you, and raise the coil to pinpoint better with the center of the coil, You can also turn the coil 90 degs and use the tip to pinpoint shallow targets pretty well.

Reality is unless I am after deeper targets I rarely now use anything but the 10 x 5 coil.

10 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

In my experience the stock 11 coil is really tough to use in heavy trash and especially heavy iron and nail infested sites.It reminds me a lot of my ex Itallian girlfriend after three bottles of vino very irritable and never shuts up.The 6"round works very well with far less falsing and superior separation.I also feel that the Coiltek 10x5 is a very good option in the so called machine gun iron with a little more depth than the 6" round and better coverage.personally I recomend having both. 

Yeah I just got the 10x5. I usually keep the 11 on because sometimes I like to move out of the iron and hunt the outskirts of the house sites where civil war camps often were. The 10x5 might be a good compromise between separation and depth. I know the stock 11 punches down deep on bullets and buttons. When I hit and iron patch I’ll turn back the sensitivity a bit and run the swing speed higher. 

1 minute ago, Tyler said:

Yeah I just got the 10x5. I usually keep the 11 on because sometimes I like to move out of the iron and hunt the outskirts of the house sites where civil war camps often were. The 10x5 might be a good compromise between separation and depth. I know the stock 11 punches down deep on bullets and buttons. When I hit and iron patch I’ll turn back the sensitivity a bit and run the swing speed higher. 

That's absolutely correct.

8 hours ago, Knomad said:

Either coil is better in heavy trash than the 11 inch.  I think the 6 inch is a little better at separation than the 10 x 5, that said only because of what makes the 10 x 5 really good, What really stands out on the 10 x 5 is its End Sensitivity, both ends are Exceptionally sensitive compared to most coils, This is Great for getting into tight spots with it's shape and right up to things like rocks with the ends still able to detect at least shallow targets, the center of the coil is about as deep as the 6 inch.

Now the only real downside to the 10 x 5 is Because of that end sensitivity if there are multiple shallow targets it can pick up separate targets at both ends at the same time, or a deeper target in the coil center and another shallow one with a coil end.

The trick is to be aware of that end sensitivity to shallow targets and don't let it confuse you, and raise the coil to pinpoint better with the center of the coil, You can also turn the coil 90 degs and use the tip to pinpoint shallow targets pretty well.

Reality is unless I am after deeper targets I rarely now use anything but the 10 x 5 coil.

Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to trying it. I’m thinking it will do well in spots I’ve gone over with the stock coil.