This Guy Bought 2 Yards Of Sand From Home Depot & The Hidden Gold Was Worth More Then What He Paid For The Sand

None of the sand pits around here have free gold unfortunately. But for years I've wanted to find time to try something something like this to get a bunch of black sands, then smelt the black sands and see what comes out of them just out of curiosity.

In some places further into gold country I've ran into black sands that are assaying above 6 oz/t + occasionally PGMs, which may end up working out to more than 1.333 grams of gold for 2 yards of sand, who knows...

Somebody needs to put a gold trap in their sand and gravel operation! I sold a book for years about outfits in California that did that. The Extraction of Free Gold by Al McGowen. Out of date now, even talked about using mercury, but it did describe how some sand and gravel operations incorporated gold recovery as a sweetener in their operations.

• Like 3

I've always wondered about this sort of stuff, they extract huge amounts of gravel from the rivers here to use for roading projects and crushed up for grit on the roads in winter, and just general gravel use purposes.  In among that gravel is going to be a huge amount of gold, ounce or more nuggets are found in the river even very recently and I can grab a few buckets of gravel and sluice out some flakes of gold in no time.

IMG_20210124_113330.jpg.7f5ea58e40ddc0ad4ffdac1078d003b5.jpg

This is my gold from a day running my sluice on the Shotover river. 

A caption from a news story about the river

The world-famous Shotover River was one of the richest gold-bearing rivers in the world, and gold was first discovered in Arthurs Point in 1862. Prospectors, miners and fortune seekers flocked to Queenstown where the river was cradled, sluiced and dredged. The rush was short-lived as gold was discovered on the West Coast of the South Island and many miners moved on.

From a news story.

Two gravel-extraction operations have been granted consent to extract up to 100,000cu m of gravel per year from the Shotover River between the State Highway 6 bridge and the confluence of the Shotover and Kawarau rivers.

In a decision released last week, Environment Court Judge Jon Jackson allowed the consent for Steve Rout Contracting Ltd in conjunction with Queenstown Gravel Supplies Ltd to extract the gravel, subject to 53 conditions ranging from the areas to be worked to water quality, and mitigation measures in relation to noise from machinery.

I can only imagine how much gold is being crushed up and put into our roads and wherever we use gravel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Somebody needs to put a gold trap in their sand and gravel operation! I sold a book for years about outfits in California that did that. The Extraction of Free Gold by Al McGowen. Out of date now, even talked about using mercury, but it did describe how some sand and gravel operations incorporated gold recovery as a sweetener in their operations.

Actually they do have wash plants to get as much gold as they can. These places are all gravel pits, which up until about 30 years ago did not extract any gold. The sand purchased had already gone through a wash plant of sorts. This is what they missed.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I've always wondered about this sort of stuff, they extract huge amounts of gravel from the rivers here to use for roading projects and crushed up for grit on the roads in winter, and just general gravel use purposes.  In among that gravel is going to be a huge amount of gold, ounce or more nuggets are found in the river even very recently and I can grab a few buckets of gravel and sluice out some flakes of gold in no time.

IMG_20210124_113330.jpg.7f5ea58e40ddc0ad4ffdac1078d003b5.jpg

This is my gold from a day running my sluice on the Shotover river. 

A caption from a news story about the river

The world-famous Shotover River was one of the richest gold-bearing rivers in the world, and gold was first discovered in Arthurs Point in 1862. Prospectors, miners and fortune seekers flocked to Queenstown where the river was cradled, sluiced and dredged. The rush was short-lived as gold was discovered on the West Coast of the South Island and many miners moved on.

From a news story.

Two gravel-extraction operations have been granted consent to extract up to 100,000cu m of gravel per year from the Shotover River between the State Highway 6 bridge and the confluence of the Shotover and Kawarau rivers.

In a decision released last week, Environment Court Judge Jon Jackson allowed the consent for Steve Rout Contracting Ltd in conjunction with Queenstown Gravel Supplies Ltd to extract the gravel, subject to 53 conditions ranging from the areas to be worked to water quality, and mitigation measures in relation to noise from machinery.

I can only imagine how much gold is being crushed up and put into our roads and wherever we use gravel.

Somebody in Edmonton years ago, swept up a pile of sand left over from the winter roads. He ran it through his clean-up sluice and of course did find some flour gold. It got in the newspaper, with the quote "See, Edmonton's streets really are paved with gold."  I have often times been tempted to repeat his scenario. Now that I am fully retired, I just might attempt it.

And I have seen people detecting the windrows after the grader has been through doing gravel road maintenance......and finding nuggets thank you very much. One old guy said on good spots then he would average a half oz of gold for every 10 kms he walked.....and the digging is easy !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony said:

And I have seen people detecting the windrows after the grader has been through doing gravel road maintenance......and finding nuggets thank you very much. One old guy said on good spots then he would average a half oz of gold for every 10 kms he walked.....and the digging is easy !

Summer time............🎶 

19 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

Actually they do have wash plants to get as much gold as they can. These places are all gravel pits, which up until about 30 years ago did not extract any gold. The sand purchased had already gone through a wash plant of sorts. This is what they missed.

All I can say is they need a better setup. There are gold mining operations that turn a profit mining what they are losing.