Reinforcing The "Dig Everything"

53 minutes ago, damatman88 said:

...I think I will stick to my "dig everything" philosophy ..

Looks like your philosophy works ...  🙂

The simpler the better , I dig everything too .. Just listening the detector's sounds .  No need to permanently look at a screen for IDs .. 

• Like 4

When I started detecting you dug everything and I found more rings then than I do now. I think we rely too much on what our detector says dig are not to dig .

Chuck 

• Like 1

In the water I dig everything. The targets in my swimming sites are few and far between, but most targets are jewelry of one type or another.

If I dug everything in my park like sites, I would constantly be digging aluminum trash and clad with a very rare chance of finding gold. That constant up and down while digging trash isn't worth my time and especially isn't worth the damage I'd be doing to my knees and back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

If I dug everything in my park like sites, I would constantly be digging aluminum trash 

Personnaly I never found a way to eliminate aluminium because it can be anywhere on a detector conductivity scale . From very low conds ( alu foils ), intermediate conds ( pull tabs , medium alu fragments ) , up to very high conds (big alu fragments , alu cans etc  ) . 

If a detector can do this , then yes it will be a storm ...

Perhaps next Tuesday ? 🙂

• Like 1

Time and stealth.

From the days of old and beep and dig.

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

Personnaly I never found a way to eliminate aluminium because it can be anywhere on a detector conductivity scale . From very low conds ( alu foils ), intermediate conds ( pull tabs , medium alu fragments ) , up to very high conds (big alu fragments , alu cans etc  ) . 

If a detector can do this , then yes it will be a storm ...

Perhaps next Tuesday ? 🙂

Well maybe Garrett's "new technology" will have at least some ability to identify aluminum from gold. With what we have now, that ability is virtually nonexistent.

Getting back to the topic of digging all. I'll give one example of why I disc out certain numbers to increase my odds of finding gold in aluminum trash. On my Legend (and I suspect all detectors), small foil ID's at 1 notch above the ferrous scale. That would be 11 on the Legend. I've dug hundreds of 11's and it's always been small foil. Granted, some tiny gold can ID at 11, but if I didn't notch out 11 in trashy parks, just about all my time and effort would be spent getting up and down digging small foil. Put another way, by notching out 11, I have more time to dig numbers that are more likely to be gold.

I've been thinking of discriminating even more to increase my odds of finding gold in aluminum trash sites. For example, 29 on my Legend is similar to 11, in that 29 has always been the common rectangular pulltab. Now since I don't want to waste time digging all the clad as well, then I think I'll just dig between the 29 of those pulltabs and zinc. That would mean just digging the 30's on the Legend and I would also dig everything above a copper penny ID. By far my most interesting finds come between pulltabs and zinc.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Well maybe Garrett's "new technology" will have at least some ability to identify aluminum from gold.

Unless they are departing from induction based principles for metal detection, that's probably not happening.  Right now audio based and graphics based nuances on target ID "sharpness" can give clues on irregularly shaped targets like canslaw and even bent tabs, but it's not something I would regularly bet on unless limited by time on site or number of allowed dig holes.  On the beach, you just scoop it and go. Ring pulls, pristine pull tabs, aluminum screw tops, forget it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Unless they are departing from induction based principles for metal detection, that's probably not happening. 

I agree Chase.

I've always said that it's impossible for an induction balance metal detector to distinguish between aluminum trash and gold jewelry. The information derived from induction balance is just too limited, and dare I say "crude" to make that distinction.

My mere and probably hopeless hope lol, is that with said new technology, Garrett hasn't been able to make that distinction, but rather significantly improved upon it.