11" Coil Ears Broke Off

Just before my trip to New Zealand the coil ears on my 11" coil for the 800 just suddenly snapped off.  I hadn't checked them for cracks but it obviously was weak.

There is nothing left to stiffen so I think I have to fix it as I did my 17" CTX coil.  I have to attach a U to the coil.

What is the best U that someone makes?

A related question would be ... Does Minelab replace the out of warranty coils that break?

When I get back I'm going to ask.

Can't hurt to ask if they'll replace it out of warranty, being such a known problem.

A guy called CoilsNel on Ebay sells ear repair gadgets much like the 3D printed stiffeners sold all over the place from every man and their dog with a 3D printer, the difference is his are proper molded plastic.  I've bought Nel coils from him before, he was saying factory direct so I'm not sure if he's associated with Nel but likely is in some way being a big seller of their coils.  Maybe the ear repair thing is made where the Nel coils are, never heard of a broken Nel coil ear.

coilearfix.thumb.jpg.8ea8093b1ad689cfa7a19bcae80584de.jpg

He does a version to strengthen, or to replace left, right or both ears so you'd just ask for the both ear version.

Might work alright for you,  Here is the link so you can have a look.

Might just need some decent glue to lock it down.

Your existing method maybe better though.

At least you're moving up in the world to a Manticore, you won't have these problems again, and if you do, it's just a lower shaft connector replacement next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Can't hurt to ask if they'll replace it out of warranty, being such a known problem.

A guy called CoilsNel on Ebay sells ear repair gadgets much like the 3D printed stiffeners sold all over the place from every man and their dog with a 3D printer, the difference is his are proper molded plastic.  I've bought Nel coils from him before, he was saying factory direct so I'm not sure if he's associated with Nel but likely is in some way being a big seller of their coils.  Maybe the ear repair thing is made where the Nel coils are, never heard of a broken Nel coil ear.

coilearfix.thumb.jpg.8ea8093b1ad689cfa7a19bcae80584de.jpg

He does a version to strengthen, or to replace left, right or both ears so you'd just ask for the both ear version.

Might work alright for you,  Here is the link so you can have a look.

Might just need some decent glue to lock it down.

Your existing method maybe better though.

At least you're moving up in the world to a Manticore, you won't have these problems again, and if you do, it's just a lower shaft connector replacement next time.

The country of origin and shipping from is Ukraine, so could there be a issue on getting what is needed from this auction?

6 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

The country of origin and shipping from is Ukraine, so could there be a issue on getting what is needed from this auction?

Doesn't look like it, his feedback is saying otherwise, even this dude in California buying some Rye malt off him, very weird thing to sell on Ebay, but I guess Ukraine are big grain growers, one of the biggest.

feedback.jpg.652e5a8b478939b8a3c5b92e03e661e1.jpg

Now I'm hungry! 

• Like 1

Every time we turn around someone has broken a ear off their coil. Another guy here on another forum the same thing happen to him in he too broke a ear off a coil .

I’m just loss for words other than this has become a real earache.

Chuck 

• Haha 2

oooohhh, Chuck, that one hurt.

Jim

Jim your right in my smart remarks is not helping the guy who it happen to.

Do go read my post on why it happens on Detector Prospecting Forum about G-Force.

Chuck 

On 5/3/2024 at 2:09 AM, phrunt said:

At least you're moving up in the world to a Manticore

It would nice to have the coil working for someone else ... but once I get the Manticore I should be using it on that size coil rather than the 800 based upon what you and Jeff say.

• Like 1