Erik Has The Island To Himself?

Here is a story that says Magnetic Island needs visitors and tourists.  Is that true?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/eerie-video-shows-once-thriving-tourist-island-completely-deserted/ar-BB1mBLb9 

The downside to the lack of tourists is they're not there to drop finds for Erik to find.

When I went to Magnetic Island it was cheaper to fly overseas than to Townsville from Brisbane and catch the ferry across even though it's in the same state, so it doesn't really help the situation.

I'm in NZ and we get more Aussies come to Queenstown than go to Magnetic Island by a significant margin, and our growth of Aussie tourists is increasing not slowing, so it's not the "cost of living crisis" causing it.

Aussies continuing to flock to resort | Otago Daily Times Online News (odt.co.nz)

Erik maybe needs to jump on the ferry and detect in Townsville a bit more with the bigger population there has to be more finds available.  The downside is not much swimming in summer at the beaches because of the stingers, and crocodiles 🙂

On 5/19/2024 at 2:03 PM, mn90403 said:

Here is a story that says Magnetic Island needs visitors and tourists.  Is that true?

That's sort of true.. There's still plenty of backpackers, just not so many families or day-trippers at the moment.. But this could all change again next week, it's up and down without much rhyme or reason.. There's a fair bit of 'poor me' in that article by some well known whingers.. Finds are still about the same as always, including two gold rings underneath a little waterfall at a swimming hole last week..  

23 hours ago, phrunt said:

Erik maybe needs to jump on the ferry and detect in Townsville a bit more with the bigger population there has to be more finds available.

Townsville's also got a whole mob of detectorists, I still have the island to myself.. although I did meet a young fella with a Go-Find the other day.. He'd found a huge clunker silver ring and was nearly doing back flips with joy.. I think he'll be back! 

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm in NZ and we get more Aussies come to Queenstown than go to Magnetic Island by a significant margin, and our growth of Aussie tourists is increasing not slowing, so it's not the "cost of living crisis" causing it.

After we left you and went back north we met up with my nephew who lives in Auckland.  He told us that he snowboards.  We asked how often he goes to Queenstown and he said not often.  He said it would be cheaper to go to Japan than down south.  I don't know what factors he considered but I think air/hotel/lift ticket.

We had not considered it even comparable.  I haven't been to Japan.  I thought that would be expensive.

5 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Townsville's also got a whole mob of detectorists, I still have the island to myself.. although I did meet a young fella with a Go-Find the other day.. He'd found a huge clunker silver ring and was nearly doing back flips with joy.. I think he'll be back! 

When I was in Townsville, Carol wanted a hair cut. As we were going across the crossing she saw a large spill of Aussy decimal coins on the Zebra crossing. I think it was the largest concentration of finds of coins in one spot for her. It took her three crossing between the green lights to get them all. I think some one must of dropped a bag of coins there. 

So,, Erik . How does it feel to be King of the island ?

I'm thinkin'.....Maybe you should get a trident spear ! 

Scare the crap out of (gold off of)  a tourist seeing you emerge from the waves with it !