Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Thoughts On The TDI SL ?

tboykin

14 minutes ago, Geotech said:

All this said, I whole-heartily encourage you to spend a lot of time & effort trying to improve the SL.:smile:

The great thing about these changes is they cost very little and improve the performance enough for one last hurrah before the next generation of machines comes out.... if they were to come out. Maybe we will just re-release all of the classics!

16 minutes ago, Geotech said:

But the reality is, that platform has pretty much reached its limit, which is why I was spending all my efforts developing a whole new platform. Unfortunately, White's made some choices that killed the whole thing.

I have heard a lot about you in my short time here. You are a smart dude, and I would love to shake hands with ya some day. Next time you're in the valley let me know.

As far as that platform I have no idea what you're talking about... Maybe it got boxed up and forgotten. Going forward our detectors will be bulkier, heavier, shallower, and have a shorter battery life than any other machine. :biggrin:

Here is a picture of the next generation of machines from White's, it runs on forty 9v batteries and hits a nickel at 2 inches---

maxresdefault.jpg

5 hours ago, Ringmoney said:

Scrap the current battery pack al together, there is plenty of space underneath the circuit board to hold a 2*4 cell 18650 li-ion battery, all is needed is a wider battery door to accept such a battery.

Tested with 4 18650's.... Interesting results at 16+ volts fully charged. Eight cells is unnecessary (and too heavy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tboykin said:

Tested with 4 18650's.... Interesting results at 16+ volts fully charged. Eight cells is unnecessary (and too heavy).

The best quality 18650's at 3400 mah will last about 5 hours which is not great, if 2400 mah batteries are used, as in the Pro, 3 hours max can be expected. One of the main drawbacks of the SL is the battery life and here you are again talking of an inadequate capacity battery. Give people what they want a battery that lasts a bit longer.

Tom, I'm in the valley every month, I live in Junction City. I even do field testing up Quartzville Creek, so I drive right by White's on the way. Next time I'm out that way I'll give you a yell.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Tom, I'm in the valley every month, I live in Junction City. I even do field testing up Quartzville Creek, so I drive right by White's on the way. Next time I'm out that way I'll give you a yell.

Looking forward to it. Quartzville is my second favorite place, first is Josephine County serpentine contact zone. My mom's side is from JC, used to spend a lot of time on River Rd, at the JC pond, and haircuts at the old barber shop in town.

4 hours ago, tboykin said:

For the record, I do not own a TDI SL, but I want Whites to be successful!

By increasing the Volts in the SL, I'm curious as to what the interesting results are?  Also, by increasing the volts, how does it compare to the TDI Pro?

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevada Brian said:

For the record, I do not own a TDI SL, but I want Whites to be successful!

By increasing the Volts in the SL, I'm curious as to what the interesting results are?  Also, by increasing the volts, how does it compare to the TDI Pro?

Brian.

Brian that is very kind of you. We are the closest manufacturer to your neck of the woods and I hope to see you out there when I head down to NV next year!

Initial test with a 14.8 volt battery (overcharged to 16+) showed the TDI SL within an inch of the PRO on nickel and larger-sized targets and neck and neck on smaller targets. This was with the stock 12" coil and also the smaller 7.5" DF. Wide open on both machines, GB off, delay of 10usec. But the SL was a lot smoother at full throttle. You can try it yourself for proof.

I need to test it with more aftermarket coils like the MJD and Coiltek, but I would guess that results will be similar. You can make your own battery pack with a set of 4 18650's and some clever wiring but we hope to have a proper version soon. Such a simple change, and the bonus is it will fit all of our other machines that use that style of battery!

• Like 6