Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

In-the-field Comparisons Between The Equinox And Ctx...

steveg,

Minelab's Etrac and Ctx don't give you a lot of ground info other than the sensitivity readings but the Equinox does at least give you a number which is why I inquired. The F75 and Deus both give you a mineral concentration scale as well as a numeric value and I have always tried to correlate them with the Minelabs. Apparently  the Equinox "reverses" the others scales as both of the previous detectors read in the high 80's (88 to 90) and had 3 and 4 bar F75 or above half way on the Deus mineralization graph,,,,I never found a previously hunted area with the Equinox that ran above 5 when I GBed and ,of course , no real idea on the mineral concentration other than ground noise and minus readings. My dirt is dry , alkaline , high chaparral with a basis of weathered granite from Rocky Mountain alluvial fans mixed with obnoxious fill dirt with liberal doses of artificial fertilizer , all sculpted to imitate mid western grass parks. Irrigation and sprinklers use water that has a ph in the mid 8's,,,,It is abysmal ground I assure you.

I should , as a good detectorist , use the GB feature on the CTX(although i do occasionally run in "seawater") but , not being a good detectorist , I'm not concerned about depth as antiquity here was obliterated years ago by urban sprawl and concrete. Discrimination is the order here which is why most park hunters rely on the V3i but I have always favored the Minelab FBS machines and have found the Etrac and CTX to give me superior ID than the Equinox under these conditions , both in my own personal use as well as with the other detectorists I have mentioned. This is not a knock on the Nox but actually a confirmation of Minelab's own corporate ratings of the machines when discrimination is considered.

Mr. Dankowski often reminds us that the utmost importance when making observations is the elimination of variables and my observations have been that the absolutely most difficult variables to remove are first the dirt and second the detectorist.

• Like 4

Dusty -- very good post.  From the description of your dirt, yes -- your soil sounds tough.  VERY different from what I deal with.  Sounds like in some dirt, the Equinox has an edge; in other dirt, FBS.  Very interesting stuff.  I will check with my buddy to see if/what he balanced at...

Steve

Ive got mine in the water most days....... but i dont believe its rated to 20 feet.  but not certain which parts is a concern.   Ill be surprised if anyone goes that deep and says much about it.   Another thing Steve H........ how many $900 water machines have a 3 year warranty? 

• Like 2