Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

MX Sport 749.00 - ? - Equinox 800 899.00

Actually even if this were a discussion about the MX Sport $749 vs the Equinox 600 $649, I'd take the Equinox 600 all day long, there's simply nothing the MX Sport can do the EQ600 cannot, and lots that the EQ600 can do that the MXS cannot. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2018 at 2:48 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Perhaps, but it's not uncommon for detectors with 4-AA's to run 30-40 hours on them, their inexpensive batteries, available everywhere,  super light so easy to have a spare set in your finds pouch for the field,  and there's tons of rechargeable AA battery options.  

Since the Equinox can be charged on the fly using a rechargeable cell phone charge bank that costs about the same as an 8 pack of Duracells and that you can actually now pick up at any 7-11 (if you did not have the foresight to store it in your gear bag in the first place, attach it under your arm rest with velcro or rubber bands if you have to to keep on detecting) the whole AA replaceable  battery emergency power "advantage" really is old school or at least so 2017.  Besides, I've never run the Equinox below 2 bars in ANY all day detecting session since I've owned it. 

Finally, what was the first thing that failed on my MX Sport after 2 years of very light usage?  Ironically, The battery compartment plastic mounting posts for the screwed on end cap housing failed, rendering the detector neither waterproof nor functional (something that gets regularly stressed when you replace the batteries or remove them for off season detector storage).  To their credit, Whites stood behind their detector warranty though it did cost a pretty penny to ship it back for repair, but the build quality/design obviously has some weak points.  Whose to say at this point at what types of failures the Equinox will sustain 2 years on, but at least I know I won't be stressing the battery compartment by replacing non-rechargeable batteries on a regular basis.  Just my take.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I can say this straight up.

Might be a good idea when a manufacturer is designing/engineering a detector to show the audio it makes off to quite a few folks..early on (neutral folks).

How in the world the MX sport got the audio it did is beyond me.  It stinks big time !!!! A step backwards not forwards vs older older models they made. A $700 Box of rice crispies.  They couldn’t copy MXT audio?  

Btw I gave my unit away. Seriously - here....http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,113779,113779#msg-113779

1 hour ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

I can say this straight up.

Might be a good idea when a manufacturer is designing/engineering a detector to show the audio it makes off to quite a few folks..early on (neutral folks).

How in the world the MX sport got the audio it did is beyond me.  It stinks big time !!!! A step backwards not forwards vs older older models they made. A $700 Box of rice crispies.  They couldn’t copy MXT audio?  

Btw I gave my unit away. Seriously - here....http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,113779,113779#msg-113779

Couldn't agree more.  Thought I was getting a waterproof MXT.  Boy was I wrong on that.  It had great potential, but failed on delivery.  Still have the MXT.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more, also. I was extremely disappointed with my MX7. I'm really glad I didn't go for the Sport. I had it for about 3 months and sold it at a  big loss. It did have so much potential, but it ended up being outdated technology in disguise instead of updated technology in an attractive package. Someone brought up the GPX 5000. Is it my imagination or do the GPX 4500, 4800 and 5000 feel lighter than the GP and SDs I used to swing. I'm not talking about the newer battery design. It just seems like the big blue box is a lot lighter. Or maybe all the workouts I do are helping my stamina.........

Jeff

Jeff,

Never had the older GPs or SDs, but my GPX 4800 is still pretty heavy, still bearable though.  Bring my Equinox or Deus with me at hunts where I am using the GPX so I can give my shoulder a break after a few hours.  I know I am losing depth when I do that, but it's better than the alternative of not being able to swing anything at all.  Lol.  Nevertheless, the 4800 is a pleasure to swing versus the tank-like ATX that I used to swing as my primary PI machine.

• Like 1