On 10/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, gravityrules said:

I see this as good news but I do not expect we will see many, if any, of the existing Whites products continued. 

If Whites has a large stock of existing parts I suppose it's possible Garrett could make 'commemorative editions' or something like that if it made financial sense to do so. 

I have no idea if Whites had anything in the development pipeline or archive that may be of interest to Garrett.

There is a lot of product overlap and I expect Whites viable products are more expensive to produce than Garrett's.

MXSport/GMXSport/TRX PP have direct competitors in Garrett's lineup.

I don't know where MX7 would fit in.

Perhaps TDI and GoldMaster 24K have their own niche in a combined lineup?

V3 lineup is completely unsustainable and without a feasible upgrade path.  As I understand, it is based on out of production processor, display, firmware platform, battery system etc and the effort required to port than to modern 'similar to' would be cost prohibitive)

So I don't think this is about 'products' for Garrett ... more about keeping all things 'Whites' out of the hands of someone who could destroy the Whites 'legacy' in the process of leveraging whatever current value is there.  It's telling that 'legacy' was the word used in both press releases.

This was my response on the Garrett forum along the same lines of thought:

Didn’t expect this but glad to see it. Thought they would just quietly disappear forever. 

What are folks speculating on this? First Texas like merger of independent brands, one more premium than the other?  Just keep the newer form factor detectors, out with the analog metal boxes, more competitive pricing, great service from Garrett?

I mean what is there to gain otherwise? The loyal customers that would have gone elsewhere eventually? Only Merica choices are now Garrett and Fisher. Their multi tech was licensed at some point from Minelab is my understanding and Garrett already has their multi flex in the Apex and hinted  future AT series?  Crap site? Some weird dealer agreement that seems to hurt flexibility in sales from what I have read?

Not saying these are equals but as far as product line and price point:

AT Pro Pointer = TRX 

Ace series = Coinmaster, Treasure Master/Pro, MX7

AT series = MX Sport, GMX Sport

SeaHunter /ATX = TDI....

Apex = ?

GTI 2500 (LOL, they still sell this?) = V3i/VX3 (cool but doesn’t sell well, outdated packaging)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://garrett.com/noticesupdates Garrett Announces Acquisition Garland, TX, October 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Garrett Electronics, a design and manufacturing company specia

Very exciting news! Coming on the heels of Apex, it is obvious we are about to see a reinvigorated and newly aggressive Garrett. Very smart move on Garrett's part, and a good fit I think.

Just posted on the White's website:

Posted Images

A few months back Carl Moreland made this post, prediction:

"I suspect they will attempt to sell the assets, including patents. If not, the family will continue to own the rights. The only patent I believe that has any value is the one I wrote on truncated half-sine. Others either have little value, are easily circumvented, or are near expiration.

Cost of manufacturing hasn't really been an issue for White's. Their labor market is exceptionally cheap and they do most everything in-house. What has hurt them the most is sales/marketing. They hung onto the distributor/dealer model for too long, and when they finally decided to go online & big-box they just didn't have the people and structure to do it right. The second thing that hurt them was engineering turnover. It created huge gaps in products and in the ability to continue innovating. "

• Like 5

difficult to understand why they figuratively just "sat on their asses"
for a long time when they apparently possessed the assets to do something
about it. i was "weaned" on whites equipment, and find it ''disturbing"
that they just ''gave up" and quit!  no fight left i guess!  i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I think it was enough for Whites to innovate and update - and fine-tune .. some well and successfully-proven detectors ... and in the meantime develop 2-3 state-of-the-art models ... in a new design and with new possibilities ... ,, and of course also well managed to promote their products ...

I also don't understand why, for example, someone didn't write the Adwance Book for Spectra V3 ... as well as they didn't update the software of this detector well enough in time .... even though it was planned ..

Garret can do all this now ... because he knows how to do good marketing .. but he also pulled the development of detectors forward ..

VISION soft..1.0..

IMG_20201027_143801.jpg

• Like 4
On 10/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, EL NINO77 said:

I think it was enough for Whites to innovate and update - and fine-tune .. some well and successfully-proven detectors ... and in the meantime develop 2-3 state-of-the-art models ... in a new design and with new possibilities ... ,, and of course also well managed to promote their products ...

I also don't understand why, for example, someone didn't write the Adwance Book for Spectra V3 ... as well as they didn't update the software of this detector well enough in time .... even though it was planned ..

Garret can do all this now ... because he knows how to do good marketing .. but he also pulled the development of detectors forward ..

Excellent points El Nino.  I've wondered the same thing myself.  The V3i was a brilliant design even though it could have used just a bit more polishing. 

All it *really* needed was a more stable/less finicky ground balance system.  That was the big one.  With the V3i, you had to be very careful with keeping it properly balanced otherwise it would get wonky losing depth and I.D. accuracy quickly even when just slightly out of ground balance.  The more difficult the soil, the worse this problem became.  But it was not unmanageable, just required a lot of operator skill to keep it properly balanced and working properly.  Users who couldn't master the finicky ground balancing eventually gave up in frustration without really understanding why the detector didn't perform for them.  It seems to me this is a difficult engineering problem but not one that couldn't be accomplished with enough engineering attention to that specific shortcoming.

There have been many other good suggestions on how to improve the V3i.  Including USB/PC programming capability, faster processor/more communicative audio especially in disc., ability to select two out of the three frequencies for simultaneous use not just one or all, and ability to use Bluetooth instead of proprietary wireless headphones ... just to name a few of the many good suggestions from users.   

Even with the shortcomings, the V3i is a truly brilliant design and still yet unmatched by any other manufacturer.  

By finishing that last 10% left undone by White's, Garrett has the makings of a truly spectacular flagship detector.  

• Like 2