Question About Soil

I like the carrot quite a bit, But but it does not seem to like damp or wet iron mineralized soil. Sometimes it will pin point forever on a not there target. Here's what I do. Dig the plug and use your detector to focus on the target first. If the target has moved from the hole to the plug your good. if your still getting the same numbers or tone from your detector probe a little deeper and detector check to make sure your not chasing a ghost. If your target is bouncing from different places in the hole then 90% of the time it's a false signal. The carrot is really sensitive to deep large iron and will make you dig 15+ inches chasing crap. Also pushing the carrot hard into the soil will make it false. Do not fall into the trap of pin pointer be all, Use your detector for the answers you seek, and pay attention to the tones and numbers when you pop the first plug. There's to many ground conditions to rely on your pin pointer alone. Digging random crazy signals will help you learn how your detector and pin pointer work together in good and bad soil conditions. But that's no guarantee on finding the treasure. Sometimes we just waste a lot of time digging good sounding stuff, Only to find out it's just another gum wrapper.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I like the carrot quite a bit, But but it does not seem to like damp or wet iron mineralized soil. Sometimes it will pin point forever on a not there target. Here's what I do. Dig the plug and use your detector to focus on the target first. If the target has moved from the hole to the plug your good. if your still getting the same numbers or tone from your detector probe a little deeper and detector check to make sure your not chasing a ghost. If your target is bouncing from different places in the hole then 90% of the time it's a false signal. The carrot is really sensitive to deep large iron and will make you dig 15+ inches chasing crap. Also pushing the carrot hard into the soil will make it false. Do not fall into the trap of pin pointer be all, Use your detector for the answers you seek, and pay attention to the tones and numbers when you pop the first plug. There's to many ground conditions to rely on your pin pointer alone. Digging random crazy signals will help you learn how your detector and pin pointer work together in good and bad soil conditions. But that's no guarantee on finding the treasure. Sometimes we just waste a lot of time digging good sounding stuff, Only to find out it's just another gum wrapper.

When I've noticed the Carrot falsing in wet ground (on max gain), it seems to be a low frequency (timing, not audio!) putt-putt.  Does that rate increase as you go deeper?  As I get closer to a real (metallic) target that frequency increases.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse (don't tell PETA) when I say that I use the White's TRX in conjunction with the Carrot when coin hunting.  Each has its pluses.  I start with the broad spatials sensitivity of the Carrot and switch over to the TRX for fine location.  And if I have trouble finding a small target after it's out of the hole I go back to the broad angle sensitivity of the Carrot to finish the job.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

When I've noticed the Carrot falsing in wet ground (on max gain), it seems to be a low frequency (timing, not audio!) putt-putt.  Does that rate increase as you go deeper?  As I get closer to a real (metallic) target that frequency increases.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse (don't tell PETA) when I say that I use the White's TRX in conjunction with the Carrot when coin hunting.  Each has its pluses.  I start with the broad spatials sensitivity of the Carrot and switch over to the TRX for fine location.  And if I have trouble finding a small target after it's out of the hole I go back to the broad angle sensitivity of the Carrot to finish the job.

For me, it does not. Whether the Carrot is surrounded a medium or large amount of my orange clay, the beeping/vibrating stays relatively steady and slow (just like your putt-putt-putt). It might increase somewhat with more of the orange clay next to it, but the change is not very noticeable.

I like your dual pinpointer idea and it's something I've considered. Use the Fisher F-Pulse on max sensitivity to get a good idea where the target is, then use the Carrot (or XP Mi-4) for the final homing in.

I'd like to do it your way, GB_Amateur, but the TRX is almost the cost of a new detector now, so yeah, I'll have to find a different machine for that.

• Like 2

GB, your explanation is exactly spot on, Now i'm going to chuckle every time I hear the putt putt.