Insane & Off The Chain !

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Two unbelievable finds in the same day!

What I don't understand about acid testing is how you know you're not seeing a surface effect.  If a piece is gold plated is it guaranteed that the acid eats through the plating?  (That doesn't make sense since only aqua regia dissolves gold.)  Does some of the underlying metal (e.g. copper) somehow leach through the plating with time, or during manufacture?

The X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) gun only measures surface content.

Why these 'experts' don't have a specific gravity setup surprises me, unless the acid test is foolproof.  Maybe they can tell by 'feel', but one bad day can kill a month's worth of profit.  I've seen too many overconfident touchy-feely types, but it's their money....

I hope the KOB doesn't mind me clarifying this but these amazing finds were not made on the same day but still only a few days apart. I believe that when using the acid test one must scratch the test stone with some pressure to get through any plating which should be pretty thin. I agree - I wouldn't trust my gold assessing ability enough to fork over thousands of dollars to someone who just walked in the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, matt said:

That's awesome! I wonder if the gold coin was a drop from a long time ago or if it fell off jewelry? No way to probably even know.

Thanks. I believe it was lost many years ago. No jewelry marks on it. Also an older beach with old coins.

• Like 2