Quick Manticore Review

cjc

4 hours ago, cjc said:

I was asked for a review on the Manticore:

I'll say this: There are a lot of machines around that are promoted as having "fast process". The Manticore also has "fast process" but it also has "depth of process".--call it "thoroughness." This is what all that advertised power is doing. What this means is that it can "go around / through things" such as viscosity in ground ie black sand, fast salt water, iron or other alloyed targets, a reject block, or even it's own speed for example. Very impressive in this respect. At the sime time it's still limited by simple physics so some of its Sensitivity is hard to deploy. I like Neils idea of stacking all the filters ie edge "firewalls" in the FE Limits plus segmented audio plus All Tones. The processing is certainly better than the NOX and this is evident from how it does not need that heavily digitized slightly latent response (Prospecting mode-ish) The Mcore sounds a lot more like the CTX and processes at a simiilar level with Multi IQ acting to stabilize it around iron. Also a superb iron masking "ratio" it hits small coins with a big spike in the hole --never seen that before. I have a few notes and may publish something eventually but still a lot to learn. cjc

I need to know moreeee about your finding 😘 ... will be waiting for your thorough mandigore review

• Like 1

Appreciate the feedback Clive. After an initial bright start with my Manticore during a winter pause, I've since been staring out my windows watching the eternal winter in progress. By the looks of it, the snow isn't going to stop until the entire Western United States is under 100' of snow and the woolly mammoths have moved back in. My manticore outings are going to have to be road trips for the foreseeable future.

I still haven't heard any positive information about Minelab getting the accessory coils to market for the Manticore. I really don't get this. Are they afraid of having accessory coils available at introduction for some reason? Are there valid reasons that aren't coming to my mind for having everybody wait? Other than testing the patience and dedication of your customers? I experienced the same thing when the 800 was introduced.  Waited for about a year or so. Perplexing for sure. Forces my hand to take my 800 with the 11" and 6" coils and leave the Manticore home. 

UtahRich

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Rich, up to about 10" of snow here at the house today and still coming down and supposed to keep coming down for another day.

I think this is the 106th day of January, here in Utah?

- Dave

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 6:07 PM, UtahRich said:

Appreciate the feedback Clive. After an initial bright start with my Manticore during a winter pause, I've since been staring out my windows watching the eternal winter in progress. By the looks of it, the snow isn't going to stop until the entire Western United States is under 100' of snow and the woolly mammoths have moved back in. My manticore outings are going to have to be road trips for the foreseeable future.

I still haven't heard any positive information about Minelab getting the accessory coils to market for the Manticore. I really don't get this. Are they afraid of having accessory coils available at introduction for some reason? Are there valid reasons that aren't coming to my mind for having everybody wait? Other than testing the patience and dedication of your customers? I experienced the same thing when the 800 was introduced.  Waited for about a year or so. Perplexing for sure. Forces my hand to take my 800 with the 11" and 6" coils and leave the Manticore home. 

UtahRich

I think that this detector will do well with the big coil this is where the CTX and NOX fell short just not enough in the tank...certainly not in salt.  Could also be the high bias though still testing...

cjc

• Like 3

Yes right, it works. Signal processing is very good from the software side. Masked targets near big chunks of iron are easily exposed and easy to detect. Depth even with Low Conductors and 6 reactivity in mild sand soil oscillates about 25 cm.

• Like 1