This Wasn’t The War I Was Looking For…

But I’ll take it. I was hunting at a Civil War union camp. Located the nail beds of two more camp buildings (found four so far) and one Civil War era residence. The camp buildings were a little further over than I expected based on the old map.  I was running a V1.1 modified fast square and had to bump recovery speed to around 2+ due to the nails.  The EMI at parts of this site is bad enough such that the best offset and sensitivity in the low 80s still results in warbly signals.  Came across a relatively good nickel signal near the side of one of the nail patches.  Around 4 to 5 inches down, up pops a dirt covered disc with silver highlights - a 1945 P war nickel!  Not the war I was looking for, but I’ll take it!

The wrench is also not the desired time period.  But I kept getting a consistent localized 70s reading surrounded with iron grunts.

I’m still relatively new to the D2. But one thing I’ve learned in the last couple outings - if I’m getting a consistent signal but can’t pinpoint as there is a large metal target underneath or multiple metal targets in the vicinity that pull the pin point off to the side of the “good” signal, then I locate as best as possible based on the signal and then leave it to the MI6 to pick it up as I dig.  That has resulted in several coins.  This time I got a wrench thrown in my plans.  🤪

I think the residence has been pretty well hunted.  The only signals I was pulling from the nails there were 60s and 70s – can slaw, along with new and beavertail pulltabs and flaps. The small motor brass (?) gasket and lead strip were there.  

B9A461DE-967E-4E2C-B297-717F17FA28AE.jpeg

5BAE25A7-2ED0-4428-ADA0-1605DB51ACEB.jpeg

2814092B-4AB9-47B9-91DD-A32ACA156637.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice hunt. Your "brass gasket" is a alarm clock frame.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JCR said:

Nice hunt. Your "brass gasket" is a alarm clock frame.

Ah!  Did not know that, thanks!

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, the shell casing is a Remington. It says either 510 or 210 with 06 a little ways away.

Your shell casing is a 410 ga shotshell head. It had a paper case.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, JCR said:

Your shell casing is a 410 ga shotshell head. It had a paper case.

Cool, thanks!  Any idea of the approximate age?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

Cool, thanks!  Any idea of the approximate age?

The transition from paper to plastic hulls for shotgun shells occurred in the early 1960’s.  

The 410 small bore shotgun and other weapons appeared around 1875 and gradually gained standardization and popularity for small game hunting thereafter.

Remington made 410 ammunition as early as 1915 but didn’t label it “410” until some time after that as far as I can tell.

Your cartridge is probably early to mid 20th century and is most likely bracketed by the dates of the coins you found.

• Like 5