Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Vanquish - Now We Know!

On 1/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, Chase Goldman said:

As a result, it is less optimized (or less hot) than Equinox for mid conductive targets (IOW not an ideal relic or small gold jewelry machine) and will hit silver and other high conductors well. 

How do you have come to that conclusion for not being a good relic machine? 

5 hours ago, Wester said:

How do you have come to that conclusion for not being a good relic machine? 

I didn't say "not good", I said "not ideal".   It is not optimal (compared to Equinox) due to the measured, fixed multi-frequency profile (discussed in the post previous to mine) which is weighted towards high conductors (it is effectively a tweaked Equinox Beach 1 mode equivalent, weighted towards the low frequency portion of the spectrum).  This is a compromise that gives it good general purpose capability and salt-beach stability.   That is why it is value priced and feature limited.  If you want a multi-frequency machine that is better optimized for relic hunting whose targets are primarily mid-conductors (brass, lead), Equinox gives you more options to tweak the machine for that type of hunting (of course also at a higher price point).   That being said, "not ideal" does not mean "not good" or "not capable".  You will find relics with the Vanquish, but you will also likely leave some relics in the ground that are partially masked by junk/orientation or at the limit of detection that might otherwise be detected by the Equinox.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Iit is effectively a tweaked Equinox Beach 1 mode equivalent, weighted towards the low frequency portion of the spectrum).  

So if the Russians are right with the frequency range of 7.8 kHz / 13 kHz / 18.2 kHz / 39 kHz. You mean by weighted towards the low freq spectrum 7.8 kHz/13kHz? It does have 18.2kHz/39Khz though.

2 hours ago, Wester said:

So if the Russians are right with the frequency range of 7.8 kHz / 13 kHz / 18.2 kHz / 39 kHz. You mean by weighted towards the low freq spectrum 7.8 kHz/13kHz? It does have 18.2kHz/39Khz though.

Yeah, but that looks most like like beach mode spectrum vs. any of the other mode frequency spectrums on the Equinox, that is why Vanquish is stable on a salt beach.  If you read the description of beach mode in the Equinox manual, it is the lowest frequency weighted mode.  The key is how much Vanquish is processing the 18.2kHz/39Khz signals.  Nobody knows.  Put another way, relic hunting with Vanquish is probably very similar to relic hunting in Beach 1 mode on the Equinox.  Not my ideal mode choice, but it will find some relics and may have some advantages in highly mineralized soil if it also automatically dials back transmit power like on the Equinox but there is no indication that it does that.

Here's where I drew my info from.
The English translation of the MD-Arena website page. Down towards the end of the readers comments [ie. angry Russians arguing ] are a scope screengrab, and some spectrum analysis.
MD-Arena page
I've attached the 'scope screen photo here, and also an Equinox Beach Mode waveform that Chiv posted on Geotech1. They match ( to my engineers eyes ) , what wasn't detailed was what mode the Vanquish was in at the time. It just may be different in some or other mode. So a little prudence is called for.

ChivEQX_B1.jpg

VanqTX-Russian.jpg

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

I've attached the 'scope screen photo here, and also an Equinox Beach Mode waveform that Chiv posted on Geotech1. They match ( to my engineers eyes ) , what wasn't detailed was what mode the Vanquish was in at the time. It just may be different in some or other mode. So a little prudence is called for.

Thanks for the plots.  Good info.

I think (speculating here) from an Equinox "mode" perspective, Vanquish pretty much stays in one "mode" (i.e., a single Multi IQ search profile in Equinox terms - may eventually be verified by further scope tests with Vaquish switched into baits various modes) and the Vanquish "modes" (coin, jewelry, relic) are differentiated only by underlying changes in recovery speed (not user adjustable on Vanquish, unlike Equinox) and the associated default discrimination settings.  This is based simply by the way ML describes the modes for Vanquish vs. Equinox in the user guide (and excerpted below).  The engineering assessment of the output waveform provides additional evidence to support that conclusion which was discussed previously here.

SmartSelect_20200126-125018_Drive.jpg

The arm cuff seems to be close to the same as on the Equinox minus the foam padding. Both of mine have held together well but they have had Doc’s covers on them almost since day one. I’ll probably buy a cover for my Vanquish too soon. 

I am in NW Georgia in some iron rich red clay for a few days. There is very little EMI here so I got to do some in ground testing on a US nickel, US clad dime and a .25 gram piece of lead. I have my F19 with 10x5” stock coil  and Vanquish 340 with 10 x7” stock coil with me so I was able to use my F19’s depth meter, 19kHz frequency and good target ID as a reference. Plus I had access to an almost vertical well established embankment that I could place the targets into from the side so there was very little soil disturbance. 

I tested the nickel and dime at 9” depth and the .25 gram lead at 3”. I had the F19 in discrimination mode set on zero discrimination and 99 gain. The Vanquish 340 was in all metals accepted discrimination mode and maximum sensitivity. The F19 struggled a bit with all three targets but identified them correctly. The Vanquish 340 easily identified the nickel and dime. It also correctly identified the lead target but not as easily. By the way, the Vanquish 340 also passed Steve’s Bic pen air test and detected the titanium tip out to 1.25 inches with the same settings. 

Jeff

• Like 4

Jeff McCIendon.....

I admit that at 340 I kind of estimated performance similar to my Teknetics G2 and your test confirms it ... what I consider to be a very good performance ... another plus at 340 will be ... a little more impact on high conductive targets .. for equally-sized reels ...7x10" Vanquish vs 7.x11" tek G2... 

.it would be interesting to have a small 5x8 "Vanquish coil ... against your F19 on a 5x10" coil...

My Vanquish V340 is being sent to me by the vendor tomorrow, so soon I can tell you more about it ..

Thank you for testing and comparing performance between the two detectors ..

• Thanks 1