Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Had To Hit The Beach Again

Thanks. I do save all my junk targets from each beach in separate boxes until the season is over, just to see how much I dig. Then I recycle them. Here are some of the usual targets I dig from that beach. I will dig around 4x what is in that picture per 1 visit. Some people may say that you can tell the size of an object and just pass on it. It's true, I can tell the general size, but with a PI you can never be 100% sure if it's a deep big target at 20", or a large coin (our silver half dollars) at around 8". A big coin at 8" comes in very loud and wide. The added benefit of digging iron is that I remove some very nasty pointy objects. I have also found coins near or with that iron many times. If I get out soon, I will save the junk targets for a picture.

DSC00105.JPG

• Like 3

On 11/8/2019 at 8:56 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

...With a PI you can never be 100% sure if it's a deep big target at 20", or a large coin (our silver half dollars) at around 8". A big coin at 8" comes in very loud and wide. The added benefit of digging iron is that I remove some very nasty pointy objects. I have also found coins near or with that iron many times. If I get out soon, I will save the junk targets for a picture.

Good observation, schoolofhardNox, and I'll add that it's even true with IB/VLF.  Anyone who thinks he's 100% sure of what's giving the coil a signal is fooling himself.  That's why there are so many good find still available for those of us who search previously detected sites.  I guess we should thank them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's come full circle at the beach. I was not able to get out any sooner than yesterday, but was hoping the beach hadn't changed a lot. Well nature waits for no one ? All the sand that was removed (around 12-15" worth) was now neatly back in place. There would be no easy silver picking. I also wanted to try out a new DD coil for the GPX I had just recently received. I did not get that chance since I left it home, so I decided to try going over the areas that I figured I would have a shot at getting some silver. I did notice that there were NO other detectorists out that day. Unusual for this beach. I soon found out that the targets were out of range for the most part. A lot of ground covered and a lot of silence. In this situation, the targets found are different than the targets found when the beach is stripped of a decent amount of sand. You tend to dig a lot of big, deep iron, mainly because it is so deep that it sounds softer and sizes smaller that usual. You also find a lot of thin wire, and smaller nails that were washed back on shore, and were at a depth that they would sound sweet too. Absent are all the good coins I was used to digging. Although I did not realize that I was stuck at 99 silvers from this beach, I was begging for at least one silver. that way I was not skunked for the trip. One really crusty silver dime was the only silver of the hunt. When I got home I realized that was #100 silver. ? I've included the trash targets I found and if you look closely you can see an American dime for scale. I did that for my tiny new coil picture too ? Great to get out, and hopefully I can sneak into a new beach and try that coil out. I think I'll need a bungee cord for that one though.

DSC00119.JPG

DSC00116.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

DSC00118.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Great thread, I'm catching up on all of these since I'm new to the forum. I'm guessing you live around New Hampshire, Maine area since the tides play a big part in where you can hunt. Thanks for taking us along on the ride. And please continue.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:19 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Great thread, I'm catching up on all of these since I'm new to the forum. I'm guessing you live around New Hampshire, Maine area since the tides play a big part in where you can hunt. Thanks for taking us along on the ride. And please continue.

I usually hit the CT and RI beaches. I'm in western MA, so a beach trip is usually 1.5 to 2 hrs away. Lately the beaches provide very little but clad and the occasional silver. Last hunt was my first non silver hunt.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...