Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Eq 600 5 Khz Crushing Multi On Depth

9 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Ok I understand , actually I know a lot of areas over here littered with modern junk ( small pieces of aluminium , etc  .. ). For example along the roads. Actually I prefer to flee from such areas … Location is the key word when detecting … Detector settings comes after. Perhaps you should try to find a cleaner place outside the big town .. 

Sorry I missed  your last post 50 trash/ 50 coin is quite a good ratio from my standpoint. In my area with the 1st WW war it is more:  90 ww trash / 10 other (( coin and artefacts ). So over here the pb is more the 1st WW trash than the modern trash … 

Oh wow you are so lucky to be north of France!  I’m obsessed with ww2... I’ve always wanted to come to that area and actually dig ww pieces...it’s always been my top preference location wise.  I watch a few hours of ww2 documentaries probably every other day or so...everything I can get my hands on.  You are right at the end of the day we Just have to think out of the box and find the best locations.  I’m getting a little tired of typical parks it may be time to knock on some doors and take some chances...I just feel goofy bothering people?

• Like 2

Captain,

28 quarter's in that pile of change!! I guess that those are the "New Silvers"!!?

We are in "strange times" detecting now! The silver's have been cheery picked all over! The easy areas have been beat to death! And we are all hanging our hats on new technology to liven up the old areas! 

Now we are hunting the areas that have been avoided, due to the trash load!, difficulty in accessing!, asking permissions for private properties!, and unfortunately,  Illigal areas to detect!! And it can be more "work," or "jail time",  than fun! 

I've just got to laugh, when i look at the silver coins i found with my BounterHunter 840, back in the 79- 82 era! And i kick myself for not continuing detecting from than on!     

But "it is what it is" now!! And between the lack of quality finds, and the regulations against detecting (mostly our own fault)! It comes down to each individual, and the reason they detect in the first place!  For profit!?? Love of historic items!?? For relaxation!?? Thrill of the hunt!?? Excercise!?? Like minded friends!?? Or something else; or combination of them! Everyone's motivations, and geographic locations, are truly their own!

It; and old age, is weeding out those who are willing to continue detecting! I don't think that it will ever die out completely! But it is on something of a "downhill" slope in our current environment!??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

My ratio is 50-50 actually probably more like 60% good coins vs 40% trash.  Guess that puts me on the extreme side of the trash scale.

The ideal seeder (is that a word?) of targets is the following person:  1) religiously disposes properly every piece of trash, from foil all the way up to bottles and cans; 2) has holes in his/her pockets and purse so that every coin s/he's ever possessed has fallen to the ground, but only in places where they are hidden from view and eventually covered over with soil, such as grassy parks and schools.  And while I'm wishing upon a star, not just one person but every person is like that (well, except me  :biggrin:).

What we get is of course a mixture that includes sloppy litterers plus misers who keep track of every coin ever possessed and, after doing an inventory and finding that a (zinc) penny is missing, goes out searching, not to return until the wayward calf is reunited with the herd.

When it comes to parks and schoolyards at least, if there is treasure there is also trash.  Depending where you are on that continuous scale talked about earlier, you can either bias your hunts to dig only the best, cleanest and clearest hits (sacrificing some goodies which aren't so perfect) or towards the other end -- digging every iffy target knowing that the majority of your recoveries are going in the trash bin.  Not only is every detectorist different in general, but we even vary our position on that scale based on other factors such as time available to hunt and simply what mood we're in.

The park I've been hunting is overall the trashiest (mostly aluminum) that I've ever detected.  It's also been the best producer of old coins.  I can't wait to get back there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

I hate hearing about most of of the good finds being stripped away over time.  That is why I’m taking to the water...to me that’s the new frontier.

I'll let you in on a secret, as long as you don't tell anyone.  Agree?  (Whispering:)  They've been out there too!  :laugh:

In theory people are more likely to lose a piece of jewelry, ring in particular, in and around water than on dry land.  I find a Mercury dime and it has about $1.20 in silver content.  Water/beach hunter finds a 3 gram 14kt gold ring and it's bullion value alone is $100.  I likely find more Mercs than the average water/beach hunter finds gold rings, but I don't know if I can beat that ~80::1 advantage I'm spotting them.

Bottom line is that most of us get paid in fun, not money.  You just have to decide where the most fun is.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'll let you in on a secret, as long as you don't tell anyone.  Agree?  (Whispering:)  They've been out there too!  :laugh:

In theory people are more likely to lose a piece of jewelry, ring in particular, in and around water than on dry land.  I find a Mercury dime and it has about $1.20 in silver content.  Water/beach hunter finds a 3 gram 14kt gold ring and it's bullion value alone is $100.  I likely find more Mercs than the average water/beach hunter finds gold rings, but I don't know if I can beat that ~80::1 advantage I'm spotting them.

Bottom line is that most of us get paid in fun, not money.  You just have to decide where the most fun is.

Oh believe me I’m not trying to focus on an income here...it’s pure passion and enjoyment regarding our hobby.  I make plenty of $ with my business.  Many people probably think we are insane getting a $1 or $2 an hour in the 95 degree heat(it’s hot here).  For me it’s the thrill and the challenge of the hunt!  I like to hook into something unknown that will produce unknown results.  GB I don’t like that secret very much and you have saddened me☹️Lol.  I do still feel there are places in central Texas because no one else detects around here...most people look at me like an alien around here.  Your bad news may be the case...but I’m smarter than the rest and will up the ante with research with old maps, getting wet in obscure places, and out working the rest.  GB_Pro you better stop being mean to me?

• Haha 1

Breakthrough!  I’ve crushed 9 fat nickels in my first hour of hunting and this is what I’ve found out.  When you hook into a small target and it jumps 12-13 the key to nickels is to have the vdi at 13 MOST of the time.  75% or so on average and every target so far has been a nickel.  I went from one nickel to 10 in one hour and every target held true to that.  Of course everyone’s soil is different but I have a feeling this holds true for many.  GB_Pro and I are going thru this life one nickel at a time?

527CB87B-5DDF-4028-B95C-333A475B9F81.jpeg

• Like 4

Congratulations Captain,

You are now well on your way to becoming a "nickelaire"!!?   Don't spend it all in one place!??

(Just kidding!) ??

PS- put a couple more loops of the cable around the shaft, so it doesn't flop around (interference!)  Or get hung up and get damaged!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1