"antique Detectorist" Changing Horses

Of the three newer machines currently available, only the Equinox 800 has a proven effective track record in the gold fields on small nuggets. It is also an excellent all around multi-use detector and easier to use with less menus and hidden menus, etc to mess with. It's a true turn on and go machine. Steve Herschbach was a tester for the Equinox and a career nugget hunter, so I would take his assessments to heart.

If you live near a metal detector dealer, it could be worth your while to see if they have all the newer machines and give them a test run if you can, or contact a local metal detecting club if you have one and talk to the members who are usually more than happy to show you their machines. Hope that helps a bit.

I have the Equinox 800 and you can get 6x10 & 6" coil for it. It really is an incredible detector. It has 2 prospecting modes. 

Also the Garret Goldmaster 24k. Another really great detector.

• Like 2

I also have the 800 with both stock coil and the 10x5 coil.

I find it to be ready to go at any time and spot on with the finds.

I know that I can use it in and out of the water, for gold, and just to take to the park when I get a chance.

I got it from my grandfather when he passed away and can tell you that it is a great machine.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 3