Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Finally Another Successful Ring Recovery..

Erik, No BS you might be the most generous detector on our forum. Hats off to you my friend. Glad to hear that your back at it making yourself and your clients happy. Hopefully you will find a big chunker that you can keep for your self. I might have to rename you the Detecting Monk for all the good that you do. Great story and recovery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, Erik Oostra said:

It's been hard going in the ring recovery business for a while.. It hasn't helped that our local council has dumped about a metre of sand on top of the island's most productive beaches to counter erosion.. Despite the school holidays and a major surf lifesaving carnival last week, I'm only finding a few freshly dropped coins.. All this changed this morning when a gentleman contacted me on my ring recovery Facebook page with a very accurate description of where he lost his wedding ring.. Although I had to go for a scuba dive to recover it, the ring was exactly where he said he dropped it.. Using my trusty PulseDive it took about half a minute to find it.. He was a very happy fella and gave me a $50 reward.. Not too bad for less than a minute's work..     

Silver Ring - Horseshoe Bay 1.jpg

Great job - congrats on the recovery! Looks like platinum? You are a better man than I as I was offered $100 once for a return and didn't hesitate to accept it. 

20 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice recovery! 

I would've taken the $100 and not thought twice about it.  Factor in your experience, cost of your detecting gear, and scuba gear (how many detectorists also have the ability to scuba?) and I bet the ring looser wouldn't have had a second thought about the $100 finders fee.  Hopefully he leaves a nice feedback for you on your Facebook page.

I agree. Many years ago I took $100 for a ring recovery. I drove an hour to get to the beach at midnight to take advantage of the low tide. It took about an hour to find the ring. I split the $100 with my friend who told me the lost ring details. Right or wrong I'm sure I considered the persons apparent ability to pay the $100.

• Like 4