Issue With Axiom And Ground Noise

Gone Bush

3 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

This is where my particular interest would be for the Axiom. I realize that I am in a very different situation as many because I have excellent machines to choose from, and I am just looking for a very particular application (finding gold in very hot ground where other PI's struggle). But I have to say that the GPZ in general/difficult (my to-go settings in very thot ground) generally has a very stable threshold and a 0.1 g nugget on the surface would blow your headset of your ears. Now granted, not a fair comparison between these very different detectors, but for me personally this is all that matters.

GC

Also agree.

One of the reasons I got rid of a 6000 and bought Axiom was to revisit places that mineralisation and/or hot rocks made 6000 difficult/impossible to successfully operate.
Kind of like when the 6000 first landed. It was a unreliable piece of shit but when going well it really did make flogged patches come alive again.
Back injury means my 7000 days are over so that only leaves 6000 or Axiom unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Gone Bush said:

Back injury means my 7000 days are over so that only leaves 6000 or Axiom unfortunately.

Sorry to hear. I haven't met a 7000 user yet who doesn't complain about back issues, even without previous injury...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

This is where my particular interest would be for the Axiom. I realize that I am in a very different situation than many because I have excellent machines to choose from, and I am just looking for a very particular application (finding gold in very hot ground where other PI's struggle). But I have to say that the GPZ/NF12 in general/difficult (my to-go settings in very thot ground) generally has a very stable threshold and a 0.1 g nugget on the surface would blow your headset of your ears. Now granted, not a fair comparison between these very different detectors (also from a price point!), but for me performance in difficult situations is all that matters. But these particular needs are certainly not what makes a detector great or not. I am sure the Axiom is an excellent detector and a welcomed competitor for ML, and it will make a very convincing case for a great all-round PI with a settings package that the 6000 is lacking (unfortunately).

GC

That NF coil makes the 7000 soooo much better. Had one on mine and loved it.

I also think Axiom is an awesome unit notwithstanding the current issues.
As I mentioned, I nearly dropped a load in my pants when I saw it handle hot rocks this morning.
As to your particular application, I will be sure to keep this thread updated in the hope it provides information that may be of assistance to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gone Bush said:

That NF coil makes the 7000 soooo much better. Had one on mine and loved it.

Could not agree more! You need to try it to actually believe it. To me, this coil was a total game changer for the Z without the need to cut the cable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

Okay yes, I know see you had in your 4 posting in this thread.

Gave it a try, still shithouse. ??

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Any more running, testing or discussion of a defective detector seems a waste of time. There are no conclusions to draw here except get it repaired or replaced. Off on the wrong foot here and that’s on Garrett.

I would conclude that as well, based on my experience just yesterday on very similar sounding ground as in the above video that I was playing around with the Ax settings and a test nugget that weighs 0.0 on the scale, which presumably means it actually weighs 0.05 of a gram or less. The ground is variable with sudden and abrupt changes, at ground balance readings from 58/29 to 62/31. With Ground Track on Slow and Speed set to Slow, I had to swing much slower than Gone Bush in the video, but the Ax was able to keep up with the changes and bang on the test nugget at sensitivity levels of 4 to 8 in Fine, Normal and Large Detect Modes with no problem. After 4 or 5 repeated swings over the test nugget, the Ax would try to track to it, making it sound less responsive and chirpy, as would be expected. With Ground Track set to Medium, I could increase my swing speed a bit, but the target response was not as pronounced, and the Ax would try to track to the nugget after only 3 or 4 swings over it. Set to Fast, Ground Track would completely track out the nugget at only 2 swings. So again based on this, I would conclude that Gone Bush's unit is defective. Hope Garrett can resolve this for you soon, GB.

• Like 8