Ground Balance Numbers

So I have a question about Ground Balance numbers  What do they mean?  I remember seeing people say when beach detecting to have manual GB on zero.  So does that mean that the hotter the ground the lower GB value you need?  When performing an auto GB, you pump the coil til the number (and sound) stabilize, right?  So if I'm getting an auto GB value of say 9 on dirt, does that mean it's hot soil?

The Ground Balance number is the ground’s phase and has no direct relationship with how much mineralization is present. It reflects the category/type of soil. Hot soil can balance high or fairly low or somewhere in between. Different detectors have different calibrations from the factory as to the detectors set balance reference point.  Most SMF detectors seem to have a default of 0 and run well there except in extreme conditions. If there are more than just a little minerals present, I have always done better with a good accurate GB.

The Legend’s GI indicator is what you want to check to know the mineralization level of the ground. If I get one bar, I will GB mine.

Thanks so much.  Now I will have to look into how to use/access the GI indicator! 😉   With my Legend, so far the ground around here GB at 8 or 9 pretty consistently.  But there are 2 active volcanoes really close that regularly spew fine ash.  Thought the ground would be pretty mineralized, but with the 9 was kinda surprised.

Thanks again for the explanation.

3 hours ago, CTidwell said:

Thanks so much.  Now I will have to look into how to use/access the GI indicator! 😉   With my Legend, so far the ground around here GB at 8 or 9 pretty consistently.  But there are 2 active volcanoes really close that regularly spew fine ash.  Thought the ground would be pretty mineralized, but with the 9 was kinda surprised.

Thanks again for the explanation.

My Legend and Equinox ground balance between 3 and 8 on many of the places in my area. Legend's mineralization meter shows 4 to 8 bars of Fe3O4. My Deus 2 shows 5 to 8 bars in the mineralization meter and ground balances between 86 and 92.

So don't be surprised by a low ground phase number on the Legend along with moderate to high iron mineralization.