What Would Old Hank Say About The Manticore?

It's the same old tune fiddle and Guitar where to we take it from here? Multi at the beach and low single frequency on land is how I will go when mine arrives.

2 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

It's the same old tune fiddle and Guitar where to we take it from here? Multi at the beach and low single frequency on land is how I will go when mine arrives.

Not sure, but I thought the 50% extra power only applied to Multi-IQ+. Not sure if you get the extra power (depth) over the 900 Nox with a single freq. setting. May be something you want to look into before deciding on the single freq set up. If an extra inch or so isn't important, then it wouldn't matter.

From the Mine Lab site:

"MANTICORE with Multi-IQ+ is the most powerful, fastest, and precise metal detector in Minelab’s history. The heart of MANTICORE is its super-charged Simultaneous Multi-Frequency (MULTI-IQ+) engine. This feat of innovation generates an incredible 50% power increase over the best-selling detector series of all time: EQUINOX. "

George,   If you are  not already famous, it sounds like you will be Big Star bound with the Manticore magic.😉

I had my day in the sun. Something about the coil design that is different. 

3 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Not sure, but I thought the 50% extra power only applied to Multi-IQ+. Not sure if you get the extra power (depth) over the 900 Nox with a single freq. setting. May be something you want to look into before deciding on the single freq set up. If an extra inch or so isn't important, then it wouldn't matter.

From the Mine Lab site:

"MANTICORE with Multi-IQ+ is the most powerful, fastest, and precise metal detector in Minelab’s history. The heart of MANTICORE is its super-charged Simultaneous Multi-Frequency (MULTI-IQ+) engine. This feat of innovation generates an incredible 50% power increase over the best-selling detector series of all time: EQUINOX. "

I hunt in severe iron minerals in Central Virginia. Previous Multi Freq. have struggled. Will see what happens.

George,   did you ever run a Tarsacci or Deep Tech on you tough sites? If so what was your impression of it?

4 hours ago, JCR said:

George,   did you ever run a Tarsacci or Deep Tech on you tough sites? If so what was your impression of it?

I now own George's Tarsacci for the past 2 years and often hunt in the same dirt. So that might tell you something... :smile:

I'll let him answer too, but I think we both have the same impression of it - as far as VLF's go, it has the best raw depth in hot soil of any non-PI machine I've used.  The discriminated audio leaves a lot to be desired but mixed mode audio is useful and optimizing salt balance and other settings for hot dirt involves a lot of trial and error.  

I've often considered selling it because I seldom find a situation where Tarsacci is my only option.  Either I can get the job done with less frustration with the Deus 2 or I'm pulling out my GPX.  But I occasionally pull it out when I just don't feel like hassling with the GPX, so I continue to keep it around...FWIW.

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Chase covered the Tarsacci. I have owned several different Deep Techs. I still have the Vista X, newer Vista Gold. Love them with the Vista X being Super Deep. Have not ventured to Culpeper in a few years but it has no problem in my local soil. One of the deepest minnie balls I ever found was with the Fisher Coinstrike made by the Tarsacci guy.

19 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

From the Mine Lab site:

You probably will never be able to use that extra power. I run my detectors one setting below noise for a smoother signal and ample depth. I have not received my Manticore yet. But I will not change the way I use my sensitivity setting, and will run it in single frequency at first, unless I'm at the salt water.

48 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

You probably will never be able to use that extra power. I run my detectors one setting below noise for a smoother signal and ample depth. I have not received my Manticore yet. But I will not change the way I use my sensitivity setting, and will run it in single frequency at first, unless I'm at the salt water.

Never be able to use the extra power? What's the point of developing a detector with it then?

I ran the manticore on first hunt wet salt sand at a sensitivity setting (24) that was just starting to get "chatty" after ground balance and long press  noise cancel. Not annoying chatty, but audible with coil bumps and slight background that is easy to ignore. Not sure if you are assuming the extra power doesn't kick in until you're up closer to the 35 max setting? I'm not sure that that is how it works. 

I was thinking that my 70% of max setting would be more powerful than an equal 70% of max on the Nox. There has to be a benefit of the "50% more power" beyond a higher more powerful high end max sensitivity setting that nobody can use. What would be the point of the cost of designing, engineering more powerful equipment if nobody could ever use that power?