Not Another Deus 2 Comparison Video!

CPT_GhostLight

23 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Spot on Lodge Scent, I think you nailed it!

I started with Pitch in Square tones because it sounds so good. Reminds me of my Nox. Problem is now everything in Pitch Square sounds good. When I switched over to PWM, I started paying closer attention and finds went up. Now I'm comfortable enough with the D2 that I'm trying many more programs and sounds and it is opening up my mind and my finds. 😎

Bingo.  With Pitch PCM, audio nuances and subtle distortions are introduced (vs. the cleaner square audio) that can help give telltale clues on things like jagged aluminum canslaw and large pieces of aluminum prior to digging them.  I won't say you can rely on it to NOT dig this junk, but it certainly sets your expectations and mindset that you are likely digging junk, such that if it turns out wrong, then you are pleasantly surprised. 

Another weird side effect of PCM vs. Square audio is that it also changes how your MI-6 wireless pinpointer sounds.  I find the "PCM" pinpointer audio to be more dynamic and gives you a better sense of the proximity of the target to your pinpointer to make it more effective at zeroing-in on your target.

But it can annoy people like audible itching powder so it's an "acquired taste" and not everyone's cup of tea.  That's why it's good XP provides the option of either audio setup.

22 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Another weird side effect of PCM vs. Square audio is that it also changes how your MI-6 wireless pinpointer sounds.  I find the "PCM" pinpointer audio to be more dynamic and gives you a better sense of the proximity of the target to your pinpointer to make it more effective at zeroing-in on your target.

Yes that was quite a surprise the first time I used PWM and pinpointed with the MI-6. I really like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am replying to this topic because of Averaging. There are videos where Iron averaging occurs in most other Tones except Full Tones. Supposedly while in Full Tones good targets next to Iron give a much more accurate ID. Can someone comment on this?

10 hours ago, Daddyflea said:

I am replying to this topic because of Averaging. There are videos where Iron averaging occurs in most other Tones except Full Tones. Supposedly while in Full Tones good targets next to Iron give a much more accurate ID. Can someone comment on this?

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

I dig next to no iron at all in square full tones. I have often dug a good target with co-located iron. I set discrimination at 0 and notch is off. After digging most everything for a while I can say with confidence and from experience that I trust this method.

Aluminum also makes a different sound, so I dig less of that as well.

Anytime you change settings radically on a detector you should dig everything until you are confident with the result.

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

I dig next to no iron at all in square full tones. I have often dug a good target with co-located iron. I set discrimination at 0 and notch is off. After digging most everything for a while I can say with confidence and from experience that I trust this method.

Aluminum also makes a different sound, so I dig less of that as well.

Anytime you change settings radically on a detector you should dig everything until you are confident with the result.

I must agree. I'm testing a modified Fast program in PWM Full Tones on unmasking in iron. I check all targets with the same set up with Fast in Pitch and and Deep HC and I'm hearing something very different going on with iron sounds in Full Tones and in some cases better IDs. I don't know what it is yet, but I'm still looking into it. 

17 hours ago, Daddyflea said:

It's not that you get a more accurate id per se, but that you hear more directly what the detector itself is actually seeing.

Let's say you have 100 targets that read individually from 1 - 100. In full tones you hear most of the differences (not all because your ear lumps frequencies together). Now you go to a 10 tone setting. The targets are not so much averaged as dumped together in groups of ten. Then five tone or three tones, whatever, many targets get grouped together as single targets. The downside is less target resolution. The upside is very stable target tones.

Most ferrous targets actually produce a range or smear of target id numbers. But most detectors can only display one number at a time, and the tone for that number. If a ferrous item is producing false high tones, as is common, then all you might hear is the high tone. In full tones you tend to hear a mix of ferrous tones and the high tone, making it more obvious the item is ferrous.

This is actually visible on displays that can show multiple target id results at the same time. This is the White's DFX SignaGraph display, which shows all target id numbers at once. Here we have a silver dollar, and an iron target that is producing a mess of target id, with a high tone 95 predominating. Note that the target id number displayed is almost identical. If your detector can only display a single number both appear to be a silver dollar. If you are set for only a few tones, the detector will most likely just let you hear that high tone spike, so it sounds like a silver dollar.

Yet looking at the display they are completely different targets. And in full tones, you'd be hearing those other tones coming through. It's why I and many other people only hunt in full tones. It more accurately reveals ferrous targets for what they are. Yeah, it takes some time to train your ear, but that's all it is, a training issue. My main advice is keep the volume at low to moderate levels so the barrage of tones is a pleasant instead of a head bashing experience. I love full tones - it's literally music to my ears. Take it away, and I feel like you are taking away critical information. It's like losing most of my hearing. Would you only want to hear three tones in real life? Think on how much you would not hear.

whites-signagraph-display-ferrous-smearing.jpg

On 2/18/2023 at 12:26 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

It's not that you get a more accurate id per se, but that you hear more directly what the detector itself is actually seeing.

Let's say you have 100 targets that read individually from 1 - 100. In full tones you hear most of the differences (not all because your ear lumps frequencies together). Now you go to a 10 tone setting. The targets are not so much averaged as dumped together in groups of ten. Then five tone or three tones, whatever, many targets get grouped together as single targets. The downside is less target resolution. The upside is very stable target tones.

Most ferrous targets actually produce a range or smear of target id numbers. But most detectors can only display one number at a time, and the tone for that number. If a ferrous item is producing false high tones, as is common, then all you might hear is the high tone. In full tones you tend to hear a mix of ferrous tones and the high tone, making it more obvious the item is ferrous.

This is actually visible on displays that can show multiple target id results at the same time. This is the White's DFX SignaGraph display, which shows all target id numbers at once. Here we have a silver dollar, and an iron target that is producing a mess of target id, with a high tone 95 predominating. Note that the target id number displayed is almost identical. If your detector can only display a single number both appear to be a silver dollar. If you are set for only a few tones, the detector will most likely just let you hear that high tone spike, so it sounds like a silver dollar.

Yet looking at the display they are completely different targets. And in full tones, you'd be hearing those other tones coming through. It's why I and many other people only hunt in full tones. It more accurately reveals ferrous targets for what they are. Yeah, it takes some time to train your ear, but that's all it is, a training issue. My main advice is keep the volume at low to moderate levels so the barrage of tones is a pleasant instead of a head bashing experience. I love full tones - it's literally music to my ears. Take it away, and I feel like you are taking away critical information. It's like losing most of my hearing. Would you only want to hear three tones in real life? Think on how much you would not hear.

whites-signagraph-display-ferrous-smearing.jpg

Forgive me I am new to the Deus 2 but one other question. Saying that I use Full Tones but also set to square. Is this correct?

34 minutes ago, Daddyflea said:

Forgive me I am new to the Deus 2 but one other question. Saying that I use Full Tones but also set to square. Is this correct?

There are two base options for audio, Square and PWM of Pulse Wave Modulation. Square tones are more musical, PWM tones are scratchy.

Saying you use full tones in Square wave modulation means you are using all 99 tones for targets, kinda like an 88 key piano. 🙂 

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

There are two base options for audio, Square and PWM of Pulse Wave Modulation. Square tones are more musical, PWM tones are scratchy.

Saying you use full tones in Square wave modulation means you are using all 99 tones for targets, kinda like an 88 key piano. 🙂 

Thank You my hearing is not very good. I was hoping I could use the Equalizer to make the Deus 2 Squeak like an ETRAC when it hit silver. It looks like this is not possible. Thanks for your help

5 minutes ago, Daddyflea said:

I was hoping I could use the Equalizer to make the Deus 2 Squeak like an ETRAC

You can assign frequencies to tones on the Deus 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXC0BCqdhvM