Mc Battery, Short Life... Solutions?

steveg

The top google hit explains PD pretty succinctly and better than I could:  WHAT THE TECH? USB-C AND POWER DELIVERY EXPLAINED – Goal Zero

However, a quick read of that, and a quick read of page 14 of the Manticore manual, it's clear that the Manticore isn't Power Delivery "smart".  The Manticore does not even have a USB C port.  This is all the manual has to say on the matter:

"You can use your MANTICORE detector whilst plugged into a portable power bank. This means you can continue detecting even if the detector battery is flat. Connect the power bank to your detector using the supplied USB charging cable, and continue detecting."

Therefore, I don't believe there is actually any advantage to using a PD capable power bank on the Manticore.  It reads as though the onboard battery will go flat and they you'll be running off the power bank.  Possibly, what will actually happen is the onboard and power bank batteries will run down simultaneously, but that isn't how the manual reads.

But, anyway, after some quick checking, it looks to me like Power Delivery is a non starter for the Manticore in any case.

The cameras I use mine on, have USB C ports specifically designated for Power Delivery.  

- Dave

• Like 1

I have one of the Anker's that's like 10000mAh. It's in a small digital camera pouch attached with velcro under the stand. I used AT-HC from about 9:00 to 4:30 last Sat.. I turned the power pack on about 30 before I got done. 

20230201_193255.jpg

4 hours ago, UT Dave said:

The top google hit explains PD pretty succinctly and better than I could:  WHAT THE TECH? USB-C AND POWER DELIVERY EXPLAINED – Goal Zero

However, a quick read of that, and a quick read of page 14 of the Manticore manual, it's clear that the Manticore isn't Power Delivery "smart".  The Manticore does not even have a USB C port.  This is all the manual has to say on the matter:

"You can use your MANTICORE detector whilst plugged into a portable power bank. This means you can continue detecting even if the detector battery is flat. Connect the power bank to your detector using the supplied USB charging cable, and continue detecting."

Therefore, I don't believe there is actually any advantage to using a PD capable power bank on the Manticore.  It reads as though the onboard battery will go flat and they you'll be running off the power bank.  Possibly, what will actually happen is the onboard and power bank batteries will run down simultaneously, but that isn't how the manual reads.

But, anyway, after some quick checking, it looks to me like Power Delivery is a non starter for the Manticore in any case.

The cameras I use mine on, have USB C ports specifically designated for Power Delivery.  

- Dave

Excellent info, Dave.  THANK YOU.

Steve

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

I have one of the Anker's that's like 10000mAh. It's in a small digital camera pouch attached with velcro under the stand. I used AT-HC from about 9:00 to 4:30 last Sat.. I turned the power pack on about 30 before I got done. 

20230201_193255.jpg

So, longbow, was the MC "dead" when you turned on the backup power source?  If so, you got about 7 hours...

Steve

Here are a few screenshots for the foldable pod setup. I completely understand not wanting 3D printed part says they don't seem to last as long. I'm not sure about that rubber seal inside the pod that seals the water out from the battery compartment it may or may not last repeated battery replacements. But it's another idea if anybody is willing to try it

Screenshot_20230218_122003_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_122025_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_121914_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Mc Battery, Short Life... Solutions?
On 2/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, UT Dave said:

The Manticore does not even have a USB C port

Correct. PD only works if both the source and load have USB C ports.  Power delivery enables both the voltage and current supplied by the source to be consistent with the requirements of the load via handshaking between the load and source contained by the maximum wattage and current rating of the source.  That means a 60W PD bank can theoretically supply 5 volts at 12 amps (but is typically limited to 3 to 5 A max to not exceed typical USB cable ratings) or 24 volts at 2.5 A, etc.  The Manticore's proprietary USB cable has a USB A plug which limits the output typically to 5 VDC at 3 amps max.  So any 10 to 15 watt, 5VDC USB power bank that can supply at least 2A will suffice.

• Like 3

THANKS, Chase!

I can't find all the specs, but here's the one I decided on; hopefully it will work well.

It's only 12W, but should be thus able to supply 5 volts at slightly over 2 amps, right?

Anker 321 Power Bank (PowerCore 5K) - Anker US

Steve

It seems from reading through this thread that some might be making this more complicated than it needs to be.  Let's start with what it says in the official (downloadable) Instruction Manual -- on page 14:

Screenshotat2023-02-18154331.png.bd8c7eec33fe1d6eeaebeaddcdf4e1ab.png

If it were me and I wanted to add ~4 hours of runtime, here's what I would do:

1) Don't attach the power bank until it's needed.  I.e. run until the onboard indicator is low (how low? experiment to find out a safe time), then attach the most lightweight, compact power bank I can find that will give me the extra time (4 hours in my example).

2) (Steveg, you are the expert on balancing detectors so this is right up your alley!)  Find the simplest, most lightweight way to attach the power bank that is more/less loss-proof.  E.g. velcro attachments with simple straps or rubber bands, etc. as a safety backup.  (Again, why add weight that no one wants??)

In my case I would 'hide' the power bank in the inverted-C underneath the arm cup, unless that screws up the balance (which I don't think it will -- almost all my detector+coil combos are at least somewhat nose heavy to begin with; don't have the Manticore yet, though...).