Two In The Hole - Again! Coins, Relics (update)

F350Platinum

Yes the bashing is horrid on the Facebook groups.  I answered a question last night regarding the D2 and Manticore.  All I said was that IMO, the two compliment one another but if I had to choose only one, it would be the D2.  The amount of hate that comment brought on was astonishing.

1 minute ago, Daniel Tn said:

Yes the bashing is horrid on the Facebook groups.  I answered a question last night regarding the D2 and Manticore.  All I said was that IMO, the two compliment one another but if I had to choose only one, it would be the D2.  The amount of hate that comment brought on was astonishing. 

Well not here, thankfully. 🤣 Mebbe half a handful of bashers, the rest have poignant and well considered remarks 🙄

Patience my friend, the update is coming that will catapult the D2 to other-worldly status 😁

1 hour ago, Daniel Tn said:

I can understand blowback because I can’t understand why you would even consider keeping the Manticore.  :laugh:  jk

Strick is right, anyone who thinks the D2, Manticore, Legend, or Equinox is head and shoulders above the others or does it all is either lying or delusional.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses and are all top end performers and that is why many of us own detectors with overlapping but complimentary capabilities.  Even the Apex, Vanquish, and Simplex hold their own because they either have some of the DNA of these other higher end detectors, have versatility, and/or simply have higher end/faster signal processing than what we’re considered the classics or flagships of the past such as the Deus, F75, T2, AT series, and Whites MXT and Spectras.  CTX 3030 still does some things better than the Manticore (while the Manticore does a lot of things better than the 3030).  The whole fallacy that a detector’s worth or performance is proven by a detectorist’s latest and greatest find is pervasive on these Social Media Groups and in a lot of other forums.  I call it the Magic Wand effect and it biases peoples’ perspectives such that more important elements to successful detecting such as gaining experience, learning to use whatever machine you have to it’s fullest extent, and researching and gaining access to killer sites, get ignored.  The social media singular focus on the toy/tool and the edited end eye candy result (pics of only the killer finds and not the trash and “mundane” stuff) is really doing a disservice to newer members of the hobby.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:55 AM, F350Platinum said:

Pretty toasted 1876 IHP.

I bet I got you itching to hear my comments on this one,... well, not like the poison ivy you're soon to encounter.  😁  Seems like I'm in "you snooze, you lose" mode these last couple of days.  It's hard to keep up reading here with so many posts to fight through.

That's a fairly low mintage, scarce date there.  (Too bad its condition looks like my typical Zincoln.  😞)  During the Civil War people were hoarding coins, even cents.  Particularly when the mint switched from 88% Cu 12% Ni to 95% Cu (remainder tin and zinc) they started cranking out the IHC's in high numbers to try and fend off the shortage.  Then when the war ended they backed off.  Those relatively low mintages (still some over 10 million and most in the high single digit millions) possibly combined with likely few being put away (even a cent was worth something then), there's a 13 year period -- 1866-1878 -- in which all carry premium value if in decent shape.  So a nice find from a scarcity standpoint, for sure.

26 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I bet I got you itching to hear my comments on this one...

🤣 Yes, especially when I looked it up and saw it was low mintage. Found it looking for the landowner's gold ring, there was an old road that ran through the place according to an 1891 topo map. 👍 going to hunt the rest of the property that road ran through, been finding these old roads to be very productive. Thanks GB. 🙂 I was sad it came up toasted.