Manticore Center Line Question...

Noise cancel -  reset every 20 minutes. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I'm hunting on a very old site full of iron. Is not possible to pump GB correctly. Oxidation, halo effects and forget nails with square heads. 

My settings:

Program Low Conductors, recovery 5-6, ferrous limit - upper 6 lower 3, sensitivity 23, long noise cancel for 20 minutes. 

Audio: Enhanced and modulation: Simple - one tone. Disc ON. 

How does it work? 

I get iron falsing but with Enhanced audio is fine. I can east to distinguish what target I get under the coil. If I'm not sure I'm checking on a 2D screen with a 90-degree turn. That way you can easily analyze each target even the iron masked.

That is the simple, an iffy signal after a turn can back to iron or go back to the conduction line. 

Even not easy targets like horseshoes are easy to check. You get a diagonal line across the entire conductance axis from upper right to lower left or a dot in the left low corner if you only half of it...

Your setting settings and mine are very near the same when hunting heavy iron.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

Your setting settings and mine are very near the same when hunting heavy iron.

That works very well. Better than DEUS II with the FAST program with some tweaks. Here you have google translated article about Manticore settings in heavy iron:

https://omnitron.pl/en/minelab-manticore-and-multi-iq-technology/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

I'm hunting on a very old site full of iron. Is not possible to pump GB correctly. Oxidation, halo effects and forget nails with square heads. 

Shelton,

Here’s what I do when there is so much iron I can’t ground balance. Switch to pinpoint mode and search for an area with no metal. You may have to walk away from the area you intend to hunt but at least you ground balance will be in the ballpark.

if you ground balance varies wildly from what you usually expect then it may have been influenced by iron near the coil so look for another spot with no iron and truly again. For example, in most places I hunt my ground balance numbers range from the mid 30s to mid 40s. When I was detecting yesterday in an area with lots of square nails and miscellaneous iron, my ground balance sometimes gave me numbers over 70. I just kept moving to new spots to ground balance until I got more reasonable numbers.

Ringtail

• Like 4

Almost impossible in my place... but I can dig a hole... and remove the top iron oxidation layer (black dirt) - about 20 to 40 cm or more. 

On 2/19/2023 at 6:17 AM, basstrackerman said:

I have 150 hours or so on my manticore and over last 25 hours or so tried to keep track of all good targets I've dug that were not on or slightly touching center line.  So far I've counted zero keepers that were  not at least slightly touching the line.  I have dug trash non-ferrous on the line , and maybe a couple wrap around iron that showed as a tiny dot on center line at 99.  I've dug a lot of targets that sounded pretty good tone wise and the 2D screen showing nothing on center line and every target was either iron or some sort of trashy metal.  Rattlehead made a video and every pic he posted of his screen of the deep coins in iron showed target trace on or touching center line on every target that was good.  What is everyone's experience with this?  How many of you are digging coins or buttons or any keepers that show up no where near center line?   Just curious .  

Went on a hunt at a swimming hole this morning and dug some sinkers that were not touching the center line and noticeably below it but not down into the ferrous range. It was dependent on which program I was using. AT HC seemed to keep them at or near the centerline the rest were below a bit...just an FYI

EDIT: I tested some at home in the grass and it was the same. 

strick 

• Like 4

On 2/19/2023 at 9:17 AM, basstrackerman said:

I have 150 hours or so on my manticore and over last 25 hours or so tried to keep track of all good targets I've dug that were not on or slightly touching center line.  So far I've counted zero keepers that were  not at least slightly touching the line.  I have dug trash non-ferrous on the line , and maybe a couple wrap around iron that showed as a tiny dot on center line at 99.  I've dug a lot of targets that sounded pretty good tone wise and the 2D screen showing nothing on center line and every target was either iron or some sort of trashy metal.  Rattlehead made a video and every pic he posted of his screen of the deep coins in iron showed target trace on or touching center line on every target that was good.  What is everyone's experience with this?  How many of you are digging coins or buttons or any keepers that show up no where near center line?   Just curious .  

A good way  to look at it is that anything off  the center line is more like the ground--more magnetic, more corroded..  Some targets like many rusted caps (20/21)are so strong  in both top and bottom iron ranges that you get what's called a "cross feed"-a tone that mimics something that would respond in the center.  However there will be no middle line painting--just dots top  and bottom.  Hate  to say it but basic skills willl reveal a lot of these--just going to a cross wise coil pass will show big changes in the graph and meter.  You just can't put a ot of  power into the ground and not have these 'bleeds".  The graph should confirm other info--not be a stand alone substitute for basic skills. Where you hear a flat, clipped or broken tone--this will usually coincide with a graph with top and bottom edge painting. 

cjc

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cjc said:

A good way  to look at it is that anything off  the center line is more like the ground--more magnetic, more corroded..  Some targets like many rusted caps (20/21)are so strong  in both top and bottom iron ranges that you get what's called a "cross feed"-a tone that mimics something that would respond in the center.  However there will be no middle line painting--just dots top  and bottom.  Hate  to say it but basic skills willl reveal a lot of these--just going to a cross wise coil pass will show big changes in the graph and meter.  You just can't put a ot of  power into the ground and not have these 'bleeds".  The graph should confirm other info--not be a stand alone substitute for basic skills. Where you hear a flat, clipped or broken tone--this will usually coincide with a graph with top and bottom edge painting. 

cjc

I'm aware of all of this as I've been listening to tones for over 40 years and using the cross method along with others.  I was mainly talking about the smooth tones with a decent round dot above or below center line not touching it.  People were complaining about falsing on nail heads with smooth tones and it mimics the sound of coin tones with smooth edges.  This usually happens when sensitivity is set too high and maybe using ATHC .  Using ATLC pretty much completely eliminated this.  But I was also trying to gather Information on how often are people finding good keepers that do not show up on, or touching center line.   That's all . 

• Like 4