The New Nokta Legend 2023 Version

3 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

All I can tell you is what I saw when I changed the sensitivity.  The science experiment side of it, to be very honest, is of little interest to me.  I barely have the free time to hunt let alone do tests and analyses.   What this tells me is that I can run the Legend at max sensitivity in the wet without falsing.  That's good enough to me.

Bill, asking again, can you tell us how/where you ordered the Legend shaft upgrades. Thanks.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Yesterday I decided to take my Legend to the beach for a morning low tide hunt.  I had not had the opportunity to do this due to work and pet issues for a good month so my Legend had changed a bit.  Specifically I was now running the new software V 1.11 and also had replaced the upper shaft, arm cuff and coil with the upgrades now available from Nokta Makro.

After hunting for a good three hours (more on that in a bit) and heading back to the car, something struck me.  The Legend, in its new configuration, is a radically different metal detector than the version that was released back in December 2021/January 2022.  I field tested that metal detector for Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine for their October 2022 issue.  The Legend at that time was an excellent metal detector.

In fact, I think it would be fair to say that Nokta Makro could easily have locked the early version of The Legend and then later this year come out with a new, updated version.  I thought back to so many manufacturers over the years who would take a model of detector, sell it a year or two,  then make a few changes to it and add on "+," "II," the word "pro," etc. 

But Nokta Makro chose not do to do this which is, I think, remarkable.  The Legend is faster, has more options, and is noticeably lighter than it was a year ago.

Forgive my soapboxing here, I'm not an advocate for any manufacturer, I just use what works for me.  But I thought this aspect of The Legend has been overlooked and deserved to be mentioned.  The Legend is not a year old detector.  If you have one and update it you have essentially a brand new model Legend.  Further, if you are contemplating a Legend, do not assume it is a year old design.  It is not.

Now to the beach hunt.  The new carbon fiber shaft, lighter arm cuff and LG30 coil make The Legend noticeably lighter and the balance is fine as always.  I met up with a buddy who was using a new model detector with a harness and I asked him to check out the weight of my Legend.  He did and was genuinely astonished, commenting that it didn't even weigh a pound.  Yeah, I know it weighs more that that but you get the idea.

That's the weight part of the new Legend.  As to hunting at the beach, I was able to hunt the wet sand at full sensitivity (30) with only minor chirping.  And I did not have to use the beach stability to calm the detector down.  Like in my field test last year, The Legend provided excellent depth on coins and low conductors.  However there was one noticeable change.  Another buddy had found a very small junk chain with a different brand detector and asked me to try to read it with my Legend.  At the time I was running the sensitivity at 28 and when I swept the coil over the chain I got only a small chirp.  Frankly, I would have walked right over it.  I decided to bump the sensitivity up to 30 and try again.  To my surprise, the chain hit hard, even when I raised the coil a couple of inches.  From that point on I ran The Legend at 30.  For those of you who are beach hunting with The Legend, I would recommend trying to run at 30 if you can.  I did not expect this much of a performance increase going from 28 to 30 and it may impact your ability to find fine chains.

For the day I had a pouch full of clad, a light suntan and a smile on face.  The Legend and I will be back out there again soon.

Legend 2.0.jpg

Alright alright I might have to increase the sensitivity on my Legend. Been keeping it at 26-27 and it's been doing alright for me. No chains yet though, so hopefully this change will make a difference!
The legend has been quite an amazing beginners first detector for me. It's simple enough to learn and operate and the finds have been incredible! It's an adventure every time I'm out there detecting, as you never know what you might find!

9 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Alright alright I might have to increase the sensitivity on my Legend. Been keeping it at 26-27 and it's been doing alright for me. No chains yet though, so hopefully this change will make a difference!
The legend has been quite an amazing beginners first detector for me. It's simple enough to learn and operate and the finds have been incredible! It's an adventure every time I'm out there detecting, as you never know what you might find!

Ok, ok---don't keep us in suspense!----What are these "incredible finds" you have been making with it??----Pics would be nice to! 

55 minutes ago, D&P-OR said:

Ok, ok---don't keep us in suspense!----What are these "incredible finds" you have been making with it??----Pics would be nice to! 

Incredible is subjective. I love silver so it's mostly silver! Some gold if i'm lucky! I'm up like almost 30 rings for the year currently at 29. mostly silver some junkers and like 1 gold ring.

20230411_105520.jpg

On 4/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, DSMITH said:

yep me also only difference is I already have the LG24 coil which is a great coil by the way, when I receive the upgrades I will run one of my Legends with the LG24 and the other with the LG30 and use the LG15 for when I am detecting in tighter areas the LG28 will most likely set in the closet collecting dust, as i find the LG28 just seems to throw the balance of the legend off for me

DSMITH,  Got a used Legend (2.5yrs warranty left) in the mail today. Hopefully not too long before I'm running the same set up you have for basically the same reasons. HH, Tom

On 4/24/2023 at 7:38 PM, Digalicious said:

There's very little gain enhancement between 28 and 30. Given how deep gold, and chains without pendants and clasps, can ID in the ferrous range, then going from 28 to 30 isn't very important for those type of targets. What's much more important to hit those items, would be lowering the first tone break into an appropriate amount of the ferrous range, and/or not using the Ferrous Discrimination pattern.

The only benefit I see anyone will gain purchasing the LG30 is a much lighter coil The LG28 is a good coil but I find it to make the Legend very toe heavy.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:21 PM, DSMITH said:

The only benefit I see anyone will gain purchasing the LG30 is a much lighter coil The LG28 is a good coil but I find it to make the Legend very toe heavy.

lg 30 much lighter?

lg 30 = 499gr
lg 28 = 565 g

only 66 grams of difference...wake up guys!!

6 hours ago, raziel900 said:
lg 30 much lighter?

lg 30 = 499gr
lg 28 = 565 g

only 66 grams of difference...wake up guys!!

It's not 66 g (2 1/3 oz = 1/7 of a lb) at the center of mass (i.e. near the handle) but rather the torque (think 'leverage') generated a meter away.  DSMITH explicitly said "toe heavy" and you even quoted that.

12 hours ago, raziel900 said:

lg 30 much lighter? lg 30 = 499gr lg 28 = 565 g only 66 grams of difference...wake up guys!!

66 grams is 2.3 ounces. Add in the lighter weight upper shaft and arm cuff included with the LG 30 eventually, that will be around 5 ounces lighter.

Right now my stock Legend with LG 28 coil weighs 52.6 ounces or around 3 lbs 4 ounces. These mods will get the Legend under 3 lbs and very close to the weight of the original Equinox 800 and Manticore.