New Detector And First Outing

I ordered an Equinox 900 from Gerry a couple of weeks ago and took it out for the first time today. Although I’ve never done it before, I decided to try my hand at nugget hunting. This will be a bit of a travelogue of the trip.

I live in NE Nevada close to some old gold mines. I headed to Osceola this morning. Gold was found there in 1872. There is a great story of a laborer working in one of the washes one night who found  20+ lb. Nugget. He initially wanted to steal it, and rode some 30 miles that night to Ward, NV and had it melted down. He had a change of heart and confessed to the mine owners what had done and returned the gold to them, and they forgave him.

The cemetery gives you a good idea of how picturesque the view is of the valley below. 

Most of the gold in Osceola was placer, and the banks of the creeks were really hit hard, as well as the underlying gravel beds. There were, however, several holes dug.

Since this was my first time out with 900, my expectations were low, and I met those expectations. I didn’t find anything, but was up and down hills and creek beds, and swung the Nox for some four hours. I’m quite sore, but loved every minute of the outing. As you can see, this corner of Nevada is very pretty.

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0109.jpeg

Beautiful country and very good photography.

Nugget hunting…That’s what it’s all about!

Wow very nice. The dark mines are a bit scary - but did you go into any, even just a little?

I can't see the terrain from your pictures, but if there's any low points near those mines I'd totally be sweeping those spots.

Doc, thanks!

Sky, no I didn’t go in any. Most were vertical. The two that were drifts into the side of banks or hills were very sketchy.

In my young adulthood I went in many, mines. When I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca in Sierra Vista, AZ, I went in many, many mines right around Tombstone. It was a blast and fascinating, but I almost died twice so I’ve promised my wife no more mines.