Helping People With Handicaps

Good Morning,

I had a customer yesterday that is deaf, although i was able to supply them a detector of their choice that vibrates. I'm looking for some help so that i can help them understand things better or attachments that might help them. I was able to take them out and hands on walk them through the detector, setting, vibration, etc... Is there any other way to help someone with handicaps like this?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the early 70’s I hunted with a guy that couldn’t talk are hear and I must say that was interesting to go all day without saying a word. He didn’t want you to write anything down but we done it with hand signs .

We both had a Whites 66 TR and would watch the big meter it had . I found him this thing that strapped to your wrist and plugged into a speaker Jack and when you detected something it would vibrate. I got it for him but he didn’t like it. I’d put a speaker Jack on my detector and I used a ear bud in one ear with a long cord . I’d looked at other things but he didn’t want any.

The thing that has been done for a lot of us is with a vibrating handle.

It’s kinda like the old lady that said where’s the beef . She couldn’t hear good so when it was her time to say where’s the beef someone would pull on the bottom of her long dress 

Chuck 

• Like 2

If the person wears hearing aids today just remember that most are bluetooth compatible so they can use their own hearing aid to listen to the tones.

Should he not have any hearing aids he should be able to get ear phones that will connect to the detector to solve the issue.

I believe Bone conduction headphones work well for Deaf people, as the bone phones vibrations make up for their lack of hearing allowing them to "hear" the detectors audio.

https://www.soundguys.com/bone-conduction-headphones-20580/

I know the Deus 2 has them but perhaps they could get some corded or wireless ones for whatever detector they now have.

• Like 2

Having grown up with a sister that is totally deaf I can say that if you do not know sign language then just be patient and friendly and that is help enough. Learning how to at least spell in sign language is not a hard task but if you don't use it often they you may loose it.  Hearing aids and bone phones are great for hearing impaired folks but for someone with nerve damage that processes the signal from the cochlea to the brain (totally deaf) they wont work. I was very happy when I learned that the metal detector companies were adding things to help out with handicapped folks. 

strick 

• Like 3

Just now, strick said:

Having grown up with a sister that is totally deaf I can say that if you do not know sign language then just be patient and friendly and that is help enough. Lots of deaf people have been taught how to read lips so look them straight in the eye and talk a little slower. Learning how to at least spell in sign language is not a hard task but if you don't use it often they you may loose it.  Hearing aids and bone phones are great for hearing impaired folks but for someone with nerve damage that processes the signal from the cochlea to the brain (totally deaf) they wont work. I was very happy when I learned that the metal detector companies were adding things to help out with handicapped folks. 

strick 

Thanks for weighing in all! I will see him again soon and test some items to see how or if they might work. I am also working to learn some basic sign language to at least help me communicate back. I enjoy the challenges, i am patient, because i want them to be able to enjoy the experience. 

Thanks again for the help and the feedback. 

• Like 3

A few years ago I learned some sign language for my girlfriends little brother, and if you don't keep up with it one can easily be putting their foot in their mouth.

So good luck and remember that when you put up the middle finger everyone knows exactly what it means.