C Disc And Threshold

I was out early this morning in my Test Garden before it got hot to tweak my C Disc pattern for Park mode.  I have a new permission that has a good bit of older style pull tabs that were needing some fine tuning from what I had set up using newer pull tabs.   If I had noticed this before, I had forgotten, but when a target is cleanly Disc'd/Notched out on the Legend it will not give a TID.  The Threshold null will confirm this rejected target.

If you have an effective Notch pattern, a co located target will give some audio AND at least an intermittent TID. This is enough information to stop and thoroughly interrogate the target. The TID will probably be bouncing from good Coin to the Notch but trust the Audio if it is more than a Pop,  that something is there to dig on a hard hit site.   I also reminded myself how critical it is to go unnaturally slow in sweeping the coil.

Still experimenting with 4 kHz vs M3 & Beach Mode to dull the Al trash and Recovery speed for deeper targets.  Still evaluating low mineral vs high mineral performance for Al trash Park hunting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi JCR.

You probably already know this, but for the Legend owners who don't, M3 is the lowest weighted Park mode SMF. M3's processed signal will give a target response similar to around 7 khz. 

M3 and 4 khz will ID many coins that are masked by nonferrous, notably better than the higher weighted M1 and M2. The caveat is that such low frequencies may also ID some aluminum trash higher than normal.

• Like 2

My go to for Al trash is 4 kHz because it is the least sensitive to the Al trash. 🙃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Hi JCR.

You probably already know this, but for the Legend owners who don't, M3 is the lowest weighted Park mode SMF. M3's processed signal will give a target response similar to around 7 khz. 

M3 and 4 khz will ID many coins that are masked by nonferrous, notably better than the higher weighted M1 and M2. The caveat is that such low frequencies may also ID some aluminum trash higher than normal.

The whole point of my poorly articulated Post was to point out that todays high end detectors like the Legend give us a lot of information about what is under the coil. We/I just need to be able to understand & apply this info.   If you know a cleanly Disc'd target will not give a TID, then you know that crappy sounding iffy target that throws up a mid range TID & one way high tone is worth investigating.  Virgin sites with easy targets are rare. Most sites only have masked/iffy targets left. Some of these are real keepers if we know the clues to dig them.   You also need to know how best to approach a site that has Al trash vs old nails vs higher mineralization. Conditions rule proper detector setup. It is a lot to keep up with & manage.

• Like 2