Nox 900 Acting Up

Zaj56

My 900 started going crazy with numbers jumping all over the place and excessive chattering. It doesn't do it all the time and noise cancelling and ground balancing has no effect when it does this. It does it when not on a target and even pointing the coil up in the air or on the ground...doesn't matter.It's not EMI and the soil  type doesn't matter. No power lines  anywhere close. It also makes no difference what mode or sensitivity is set at or even what frequency. Sometimes if I factory reset the mode I'm in it will stop . I pulled the coil cover(6inch) and it was clean. The only thing I didn't try was using a different coil.  Any thoughts and thanks in advance!

If you don't have another coil, unscrew the cable from the detector and re-install.  Don't over tighten.  When it's doing good and quiet, take and lightly tap the coil to see if you can get it to act up.  Usually power lines will interfere if at a distance.  What about your cell phone?

If you have location on, it continues to broadcast your location to the tower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

If you don't have another coil, unscrew the cable from the detector and re-install.  Don't over tighten.  When it's doing good and quiet, take and lightly tap the coil to see if you can get it to act up.  Usually power lines will interfere if at a distance.  What about your cell phone?

If you have location on, it continues to broadcast your location to the tower.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try those things

Zaj56,

How did you like the 900 before you started experiencing problems.  If you are are a previous 800 owner, is there a big difference between the two with respect to target depth.  Hope you are able to overcome your challenges soon.

V/R

Walt

1 hour ago, jim tn said:

Sounds like a coil problem. Try the larger coil and see if it does or doesn't do the same. HH jim tn

Good advice Jim..I have another 6 inch coil from my spare 600 that I am going to try

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walt2020 said:

Zaj56,

How did you like the 900 before you started experiencing problems.  If you are are a previous 800 owner, is there a big difference between the two with respect to target depth.  Hope you are able to overcome your challenges soon.

V/R

Walt

Walt..I started using the 600 and was very happy with it but wanted 2 machines so I always have  a spare. I am happy with the 900 but can't honestly say I see a big difference in depth. It took a little time to get used  to the expanded vdi but I am ok with it now. I do like and use the dp tones and vibration but never really had to use the red back light and the flashlight. I also never use the headphones as I almost always hunt in remote locations away from any humans, If you need a second machine I would go with the 900 but if you are looking for an upgrade over a 800 I think it will be minimal.  Others might disagree. I do wish that Minelab would have put an hour meter on their machines so we could see how  many hour we are swinging!

2 hours ago, Zaj56 said:

I also never use the headphones as I almost always hunt in remote locations away from any humans, If you need a second machine I would go with the 900 but if you are looking for an upgrade over a 800 I think it will be minimal. 

Yeah a manti-lite at about $1100 would be on my wish list😉

• 5 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 11:21 AM, Zaj56 said:

My 900 started going crazy with numbers jumping all over the place and excessive chattering. It doesn't do it all the time and noise cancelling and ground balancing has no effect when it does this. It does it when not on a target and even pointing the coil up in the air or on the ground...doesn't matter.It's not EMI and the soil  type doesn't matter. No power lines  anywhere close. It also makes no difference what mode or sensitivity is set at or even what frequency. Sometimes if I factory reset the mode I'm in it will stop . I pulled the coil cover(6inch) and it was clean. The only thing I didn't try was using a different coil.  Any thoughts and thanks in advance!

Mine does the same I have sent it to detector repair and waiting to see if they find anything wrong with it, I also sent both coils