Getting Back On The Deus 2 - Need The Latest Suggested V1.1 Custom Programs Or "cliff Note" Tips

Deep Beeps

I had a pair of Deus 2's that I was using down on the Florida beaches and Virginia fields. Got fairly proficient with the original V.6 but had to step away with some health issues. If any can throw this broken down detectorist a few quick program tips that are really working well in the new V1.1, I'd be appreciative. Maybe just link to a thread will do. Going to be hunting SoCal beaches here after the holiday and then some parks. Abandon mining/houses this August.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Btw... People don't swim as much here due to the colder water, nor wear as much jewelry here like in Florida. Most likely will hit around the fire pits first picking up clad quarters and an occasional earring or ring (dry sand and lots of nails)

Well it seems the beach programs may have an issue with iron separation, so you may want to stick to General around those areas. Otherwise there’s no magic pill for all around  detecting.  Find some targets in an area try some different programs and settings on them.  Note the differences and enjoy the never ending process 

28 minutes ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

Well it seems the beach programs may have an issue with iron separation, so you may want to stick to General around those areas. Otherwise there’s no magic pill for all around  detecting.  Find some targets in an area try some different programs and settings on them.  Note the differences and enjoy the never ending process 

Thanks....I was just reading the thread below about this. The SoCal beaches are definitely littered with those pesky guys.

39 minutes ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

To be clear, I would go with General on dry sand ONLY.  Although in my opinion, the observed ferrous separation issues are not that big a deal, its not like you are typically detecting in a bed of nails situation on the beach, so I just stick with variants of Beach Sensitive everywhere using pitch audio which is the most reactive and iron volume at the disc breakpoint (I use between 7 to 10 disc, the Beach sensitive "variants" are based on the three different FMF Maximimum frequencies that are available now - see below).  If I have my doubts about a ferrous target, I can turn on it or use General as an interrogation program if I am concerned something might actually be masked against a tent stake.  I don't lose much sleep over it, but it is a real thing that has been demonstrated.   If you are in the wet sand or surf, you really don't have a choice for stability and you need to go with beach or beach sensitive (or Dive if you want to go a little deeper on high conductors).

2 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

I had a pair of Deus 2's that I was using down on the Florida beaches and Virginia fields. Got fairly proficient with the original V.6 but had to step away with some health issues. If any can throw this broken down detectorist a few quick program tips that are really working well in the new V1.1, I'd be appreciative. Maybe just link to a thread will do. Going to be hunting SoCal beaches here after the holiday and then some parks. Abandon mining/houses this August.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Btw... People don't swim as much here due to the colder water, nor wear as much jewelry here like in Florida. Most likely will hit around the fire pits first picking up clad quarters and an occasional earring or ring (dry sand and lots of nails)

You can go to this thread for more details on what's new with Ver 1.1 (and some of the lingering issues and new quirks) but there are basically four major changes of note:

• You can now adjust the top end (maximum) FMF frequency for any FMF (XP's version simultaneous multifrequency) program - you pick either 14 khz, 24 khz, or 40 khz.  This biases the FMF towards depth and high conductors (14 khz), Middle of the road performance (24 khz), or bias towards micro targets and lower conductors such as gold, brass, or lead (40 khz).
  • Full Tones has been improved to enable iron volume to be used at or below the discrimination breakpoint regardless of the disc setting (it used to only work at disc = 0 or below.
  • A new audio profile has been added called HiSquare - it is sort of a hybrid between Square and PCM.  Gives you a little more tonal harmonic distortion to aid in audible target ID but not to the extent of the mosquito tones of PCM.
  • Finally, XP added a 5 level audio filter - increase the setting and you can get more tonal nuance out of non-ferrous targets which can perhaps aid in depth or identifying the harmonic distortion associated with aluminum can slaw and the like.

HTH gets you started.

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

To be clear, I would go with General on dry sand ONLY.  Although in my opinion, the observed ferrous separation issues are not that big a deal, its not like you are typically detecting in a bed of nails situation on the beach, so I just stick with variants of Beach Sensitive everywhere (the variants are based on the three different FMF Maximimum frequencies that are available now - see below).  If I have my doubts about a ferrous target, I can turn on it or use General as an interrogation program if I am concerned something might actually be masked against a tent stake.  I don't lose much sleep over it, but it is a real thing that has been demonstrated.   If you are in the wet sand or surf, you really don't have a choice for stability and you need to go with beach or beach sensitive (or Dive if you want to go a little deeper on high conductors).

You can go to this thread for more details on what's new with Ver 1.1 (and some of the lingering issues and new quirks) but there are basically four major changes of note:

• You can now adjust the top end (maximum) FMF frequency for any FMF (XP's version simultaneous multifrequency) program - you pick either 14 khz, 24 khz, or 40 khz.  This biases the FMF towards depth and high conductors (14 khz), Middle of the road performance (24 khz), or bias towards micro targets and lower conductors such as gold, brass, or lead (40 khz).
  • Full Tones has been improved to enable iron volume to be used at or below the discrimination breakpoint regardless of the disc setting (it used to only work at disc = 0 or below.
  • A new audio profile has been added called HiSquare - it is sort of a hybrid between Square and PCM.  Gives you a little more tonal harmonic distortion to aid in audible target ID but not to the extent of the mosquito tones of PCM.
  • Finally, XP added a 5 level audio filter - increase the setting and you can get more tonal nuance out of non-ferrous targets which can perhaps aid in depth or identifying the harmonic distortion associated with aluminum can slaw and the like.

HTH gets you started.

Thanks Chase... I was going through that thread and it was helpful. From watch a few videos on Youtube it seems that General is now the "standard". 

I used Sensitive FT a lot before on the fields and Beach & Beach Sensitive in the older versions. Will give the General a try in the next few days around the fire pits at the beach. Lots of nails from pallets that get burned. Also lots of pull tabs.

2 hours ago, midalake said:

If the Deus 2 did not suffer from Iron-wrap around. One would not have to worry about this!   

Well, I don't think anyone hunts this little beach much so I should be able to pick out plenty of quarters quit easily.... Im sure the rolled up balls of foil will get me here and there.... At least thats how previous versions were. But those small rings and earrings might be.another story by the sound of things.

It's true that the beach programs have an issue with iron separation on buried targets...ferrous and non-ferrous targets on top of the ground can be separated by those same beach programs...a conundrum as I called it in that post. 

However, just going by my experience on the Florida tourist beaches I hunt, we don't run into much iron at all...unlike land hunters.  So until the talented XP engineers can resolve this issue with the beach programs, I'll continue to place ultimate trust in my Deus II, the best detector on the market in my opinion, and bank on the odds that the little iron we do see on our beaches won't affect a successful hunt very much.

As for using land programs on the beach, I have used a modified General and Deep HC but ONLY on VERY dry sand away from any "saltyness."  My experience over the years has been that once you get into even the least bit of sand tainted by saltwater, those land programs aren't effective.  They're just not designed to hunt in saltwater environments. 

Now again, I caveat all of the above in that this is just my experience on the beaches I hunt.  Not all beaches are the same by a long shot.  The settings I use in Florida may not be effective on Virginia or Hawaii beaches for example. Programs and settings must be tailored to the specific environment...particularly on saltwater beaches.

Just the view from my "beachy" foxhole...  😉

9 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

It's true that the beach programs have an issue with iron separation on buried targets...ferrous and non-ferrous targets on top of the ground can be separated by those same beach programs...a conundrum as I called it in that post. 

However, just going by my experience on the Florida tourist beaches I hunt, we don't run into much iron at all...unlike land hunters.  So until the talented XP engineers can resolve this issue with the beach programs, I'll continue to place ultimate trust in my Deus II, the best detector on the market in my opinion, and bank on the odds that the little iron we do see on our beaches won't affect a successful hunt very much.

As for using land programs on the beach, I have used a modified General and Deep HC but ONLY on VERY dry sand away from any "saltyness."  My experience over the years has been that once you get into even the least bit of sand tainted by saltwater, those land programs aren't effective.  They're just not designed to hunt in saltwater environments. 

Now again, I caveat all of the above in that this is just my experience on the beaches I hunt.  Not all beaches are the same by a long shot.  The settings I use in Florida may not be effective on Virginia or Hawaii beaches for example. Programs and settings must be tailored to the specific environment...particularly on saltwater beaches.

Just the view from my "beachy" foxhole...  😉

Thanks Dan. Your post is what made me ask the original question in this thread as I have 0 hours on V1.1. I had actually used some of the beach programs to tune out EMI while hunting under power lines in coastal Virginia last year in one of the older versions. likely V.6.

The beaches here in SoCal have a fair bit of black sands. But due to fresh sutures I'll be staying high and dry.

What is the modified General settings? Also I see at the end you started using Gary's Sonar program?