Just Started With The Deus 2

d1v1n

Hello, I am from Richmond, VA and have just started learning the Deus 2. I picked it up back in March 2023. I was using an equinox 800 during Covid and pick up the mi6 pointer and decided to go with a Deus 2. I still have the equinox but mainly swing the Deus. For some reason I have had more luck with my Deus. If you have any tips or spreadsheets for programming for beach or relic hunting I am game.  The family and I have been on vacation this week at Topsail, NC so I have had time on the beach which has been great, we head back tomorrow. I am amazed at the number of fully buried aluminum cans I found, they were  in the high 80s- 90 range.  I did find 2 rings, one plated and the other might be gold both rang around 80.  I did find lots of clad coins.  Love this forum and just reading picking up the knowledge.  

Welcome!  First, you might want to do a search for this thread: Deus 2 Programs Log And Organizer Updated For V1.0 Software.  There is a handy-dandy spreadsheet listing settings for the preset programs and empty columns to enter your own custom program settings.  I don’t know that anyone has updated it yet for version 1.1.  

For relics, you may want to talk to F350Platinum about his relic reaper program.  I don’t know whether he has dialed it in on version 1.1 settings yet or not.

I know there have been several threads within the last few weeks discussing changes to beach settings with version 1.1.  So you may want to scroll back through the threads for those.

Happy hunting!

Geologyhound,

Thanks for the welcome.  I went ahead and downloaded the spreadsheet it is really handy to have it. I will check with F350Platinum for his relic reaper program.  Looking forward to getting updated on the new 1.1 beach setting. I really appreciate you taking the time to share the information with me!

I too went from the Nox 800 to the Deus. I mostly hunt on the beach near Topsail. I have found that the Deus does a better job of sniffing out non-ferrous targets deeper than the Nox. It also will give a pretty accurate ID on the deep targets. Allow some time to learn the D2's "language" and it will reward you. 

I was amazed by the depths of some of my finds, to the point that people walking by would stop after I was 2-3 scoops down to see what I was doing.  I am picking up on the tones but still learning the language. It would be interesting to see if someone did videos of dig or not dig by tones, then see what they were after.  Some of the tones and trills have caught me, but curiosity kills me, so I dig some items either way.  

Welcome to the forum, and hello from the rural counties to the north. 🙂

I switched from my Equinox 600 (probably got them both at the same place you did if you bought them at a store 😏) to the Deus 2 last year. It took me a long time to get used to it and learn the different settings, but I've managed to get it working in such a far superior manner to the 600 that I only use the Equinox to hunt difficult spots that the Deus coils are too big for, I have all 3. After such great experiences with the Coiltek 10x5 I am hoping XP will add such an elliptical to the D2 lineup, and I'll probably cough up the $400 ransom for it. 😵

From reading your posts it looks like you are doing all the right stuff, what coil do you have?

Additionally, after a while you should be able to decide your audio preference on the Deus, those who had the Deus 1 typically prefer pitch and PWM audio, I'm a fan of full tones and now the new High Square with full tones. I don't look at the screen much, and don't use a small tone range, I run it wide open.

Unlike the Equinox the Deus is all about audio, the nuances are important. I use the XY screen because it stuffs the ID up in a corner so I can always see it, there are glare complaints about the screen. You can use the big id screen but you lose a lot of other useful info.

Shame you're leaving Topsail today, I've tweaked out a program that really "hoovers" up the finds on the beach, check out my recent posts and see the trash to finds ratio 😏. I'm headed to Emerald Isle Sunday after next with confidence. I was at Myrtle Beach in the spring, and many finds were 4 or more scoops deep. 😀 It got so I scooped at least 4 times before I used the MI-6.

Relic season is done here, but I can't wait to get back to it when the crops are reaped in the fall, I have lots of permissions and some are so big I haven't had time to search them completely. Many places date to the early 1600s. It's a lot of walking but the soil is mild with few rocks. Some would say I'm very fortunate, I agree. I'm also pretty good at getting new permissions.

I use the 13" coil primarily, I love the 9" but have to swing it too much. I never gelled with the 11' but it's there as a backup. I bought it and then got the 13" a couple of weeks later, thought they would never get it to market.

Toss us a bit more info about what you have for hardware, what you like to look for and where. Sounds like you're like me. The Deus is king in Virginia hands down. I'll get in touch with ya with some programs but learning the Deus is key, if you jump right in with tried and true settings from others you'll never understand why they work so well. 🙂

13 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Welcome!  First, you might want to do a search for this thread: Deus 2 Programs Log And Organizer Updated For V1.0 Software.  There is a handy-dandy spreadsheet listing settings for the preset programs and empty columns to enter your own custom program settings.  I don’t know that anyone has updated it yet for version 1.1.  

Thanks for the reminder... it is done.

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Welcome to the forum, and hello from the rural counties to the north. 🙂

I switched from my Equinox 600 (probably got them both at the same place you did if you bought them at a store 😏) to the Deus 2 last year. It took me a long time to get used to it and learn the different settings, but I've managed to get it working in such a far superior manner to the 600 that I only use the Equinox to hunt difficult spots that the Deus coils are too big for, I have all 3. After such great experiences with the Coiltek 10x5 I am hoping XP will add such an elliptical to the D2 lineup, and I'll probably cough up the $400 ransom for it. 😵

From reading your posts it looks like you are doing all the right stuff, what coil do you have?

Additionally, after a while you should be able to decide your audio preference on the Deus, those who had the Deus 1 typically prefer pitch and PWM audio, I'm a fan of full tones and now the new High Square with full tones. I don't look at the screen much, and don't use a small tone range, I run it wide open.

Unlike the Equinox the Deus is all about audio, the nuances are important. I use the XY screen because it stuffs the ID up in a corner so I can always see it, there are glare complaints about the screen. You can use the big id screen but you lose a lot of other useful info.

Shame you're leaving Topsail today, I've tweaked out a program that really "hoovers" up the finds on the beach, check out my recent posts and see the trash to finds ratio 😏. I'm headed to Emerald Isle Sunday after next with confidence. I was at Myrtle Beach in the spring, and many finds were 4 or more scoops deep. 😀 It got so I scooped at least 4 times before I used the MI-6.

Relic season is done here, but I can't wait to get back to it when the crops are reaped in the fall, I have lots of permissions and some are so big I haven't had time to search them completely. Many places date to the early 1600s. It's a lot of walking but the soil is mild with few rocks. Some would say I'm very fortunate, I agree. I'm also pretty good at getting new permissions.

I use the 13" coil primarily, I love the 9" but have to swing it too much. I never gelled with the 11' but it's there as a backup. I bought it and then got the 13" a couple of weeks later, thought they would never get it to market.

Toss us a bit more info about what you have for hardware, what you like to look for and where. Sounds like you're like me. The Deus is king in Virginia hands down. I'll get in touch with ya with some programs but learning the Deus is key, if you jump right in with tried and true settings from others you'll never understand why they work so well. 🙂

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it! I am running an 11 inch coil on the Deus 2. I purchase both of my machines online from Big Boys Hobbies.  I had a positive experience with both purchases, and he was very competitive on the prices.   I use full tones in the new high square audio and run full range on the Deus 2 and also use the XY screen. It is great in  determining whether to go with or pass up a target.  I wish you luck down at Emerald Isle. And yes, it is amazing how deep how many scoops down some of these targets are. 

To be completely honest, I have not taken the equinox 800 out that much since getting the Deus two. The deus has been my go to.  My equinox 800 has the 11 inch coil and the 6 inch coil and I have carbon fiber shafts for the equinox. I also have a Garrett carrot as an original pointer.  While using the equinox 800 I bought an M I6 and that’s what got me thinking about getting the deus.  The M I six seem to even outperform the Garrett carrot in pinpointing. For a small digging tool I have a lesche hand shovel and a piranha shovel for deeper digging. Look forward to any tips, updates and help that you guys have I really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks for the reminder... it is done.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. That is awesome.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:11 AM, d1v1n said:

I was amazed by the depths of some of my finds, to the point that people walking by would stop after I was 2-3 scoops down to see what I was doing.  I am picking up on the tones but still learning the language. It would be interesting to see if someone did videos of dig or not dig by tones, then see what they were after.  Some of the tones and trills have caught me, but curiosity kills me, so I dig some items either way.  

This was interesting Gary Blackwell did a video going over tone and if to dig or not.  It was really good.