My First Metal Detector And My First Finds!

I received my Legend and some other accessories for it a few days ago.  I put it all together and did the update to 1.11 this morning.   Decided to go searching for everything/anything so I set the search mode to field, set the frequency to M2, and selected A for the discrimination pattern.  I have 35 acres of reclaimed coal strip mining.  I hit my front yard (I have 3 acres fenced in with 6’ chainlink surrounding my home).  I dinked around for about 30 minutes and found junk.  But it was so cool to do so!  My female Chesapeake was by my side the entire time…”helping” by poking her nose into the holes I dug.  🤣 It was such a cool feeling to find a freaking 1” long rusted wood screw buried 3” below the surface.  I mean talk about the proverbial “needle in the haystack”!  The can top I found is stamped with “Dispose of Properly”.  😂😂😂  I don’t have anything to compare the Legend against, but I’m extremely satisfied with this purchase.  Sooo many setup options…I’m just gonna stick with the very basics for a bit that’s for sure!  Y’all be safe!

IMG_5732.jpeg

14 minutes ago, PathfinderBob said:

I have 35 acres of reclaimed coal strip mining.

That's quite possibly difficult ground due to ferrous mineralization.  But you're cutting your teeth so it's not going to hurt you with your apparent positive attitude.  I predict you'll be even more pleased if you can get into less severe ground.  You have an excellent detector for the task so keep up the good work!

One thing I forgot to do was the Ground Balance.  I will mess with that tomorrow.

That's great. Just wait until you get on some original ground that has some old in it. You will be really hooked then. 

Keep posting. Your enthusiasm is contagious.

Swing low and slow. By the time you have 20-30 hours on it you’ll start finding some surprisingly interesting finds.  Hit some public areas where a lot of people get together. Volley ball courts are good for jewelry and coins and can be hunted in a short amount of time. Happy hunting.