What Is This?

On 7/11/2023 at 8:04 PM, kac said:

Looks like there is text around the rim on one end. Might be able to look that up.

The most I could make out is HOFF…not enough to go on🙁

8 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

The most I could make out is HOFF…not enough to go on🙁

Isn't that always the way? :)

• Like 1

Did you ever check to see if a hose screws into it, or if threads are in bad shape is it at least the right size.?

If size seems right but threads are bad put a hose to it with tape or anything to seal or reduce water leakage and see if it acts like a hose nozzle.

6 hours ago, Knomad said:

Did you ever check to see if a hose screws into it, or if threads are in bad shape is it at least the right size.?

If size seems right but threads are bad put a hose to it with tape or anything to seal or reduce water leakage and see if it acts like a hose nozzle.

In her photos you can see the threaded end is around or smaller than her thumb, the inside would be even smaller, so no way a water hose will fit it.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 9:13 AM, IdahoPeg said:

After cleaning & looking closer, check out the teeth…maybe a sea serpent or dragon?824D6FE5-832C-4B2A-B8BA-35FFE190F391.thumb.jpeg.5d62b64366da7dc471a7db10307dd591.jpeg8CD4924C-63C8-4D59-833D-54819E0B3A69.thumb.jpeg.9baa4e4677627bc20229ada0b5556661.jpeg

Hey Peg. In light of your recent photo which gives the mystery item a bit of an asian flavor I'm starting to lean towards Chucks opinion about it possibly being a smoking pipe with a removable bowl.Opium pipes in particular and hash pipes in more recent times had removable bowls so that they could be cleaned and to collect the squeezins only to be enjoyed again.Frankly I'm surprised that some of the more knowledgeable relic guys and researchers on this forum haven't pinned it down by now.If you do not get a solid identification on it you might consider contacting Butch and Anita Holcombe at American Digger Magazine.Send the photos and they will post it for you in an upcoming issue.

37FDB8DA-1CDA-4379-BDFF-1E8E514C2782_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c95daaf17191bedf11cc6bdcf20f3cc0.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Hey Peg. In light of your recent photo which gives the mystery item a bit of an asian flavor I'm starting to lean towards Chucks opinion about it possibly being a smoking pipe with a removable bowl.Opium pipes in particular and hash pipes in more recent times had removable bowls so that they could be cleaned and to collect the squeezins only to be enjoyed again.Frankly I'm surprised that some of the more knowledgeable relic guys and researchers on this forum haven't pinned it down by now.If you do not get a solid identification on it you might consider contacting Butch and Anita Holcombe at American Digger Magazine.Send the photos and they will post it for you in an upcoming issue.

37FDB8DA-1CDA-4379-BDFF-1E8E514C2782_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c95daaf17191bedf11cc6bdcf20f3cc0.jpeg

The thing that stumps me are the English letters that I can’t make out…thought it was Chinese pipe at first till I saw them. Thanks for the tip re American Digger, I think I’ll do that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IdahoPeg said:

The thing that stumps me are the English letters that I can’t make out…thought it was Chinese pipe at first till I saw them. Thanks for the tip re American Digger, I think I’ll do that.

I'm pretty certain that the English were the key players in the opium trade.I would guess Hoffman on the script.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, IdahoPeg said:

Found this while detecting for coins & relics in old gold mining area that has a long gone mid 1800s-early 1900s townsite nearby. At first I thought it was part of a smoking pipe, but now thinking an old gas lamp fitting. Wider end threaded, other end not. Ornate fish design and with English lettering on end….can only make out “HOFF”. Whatever it is, pretty cool! Thoughts?

E5634397-196F-40B7-9D82-B53AD7B313AD.thumb.jpeg.012b794b944db938458c619870303cf0.jpeg

Any new solid information about your whatzit, doohickey gizmo Peg?