What Is This?

Found this while detecting for coins & relics in old gold mining area that has a long gone mid 1800s-early 1900s townsite nearby. At first I thought it was part of a smoking pipe, but now thinking an old gas lamp fitting. Wider end threaded, other end not. Ornate fish design and with English lettering on end….can only make out “HOFF”. Whatever it is, pretty cool! Thoughts?

E5634397-196F-40B7-9D82-B53AD7B313AD.thumb.jpeg.012b794b944db938458c619870303cf0.jpeg

Like you already said Peg whatever it is it's pretty cool! Other than that it has a lot of charector and eye appeal and is a very nice find.

Cool piece Peg, first thought was  part of a pipe but has threads.

26 minutes ago, MSC said:

Cool piece Peg, first thought was  part of a pipe but has threads.

I thought maybe a ceramic bowl would screw in the threaded end and stem fit on other end? But likely part of something else, like old gas lamp…CAE84A6C-DA99-4353-86D5-65571B58FF81.thumb.png.89dddac0a81f2c8747f6b6abbbcf7c08.png

Given both its (small) size and the amount of detail, my expectation is that it goes to something that would be reasonably close to a person's eyes at least a fair amount of the time, to justify/reward its artistic value.

It appears there are two paths for transport -- lower ornate one and upper plain (circularly cylindrical) one.  If so (i.e. both are hollow), this is probably an indication of its utility.  Either that or its expected to see a lot of torque and that upper strut is simply for strength (although that seems unlikely).  I'm probably not helping much in ID'ing it....

it still could be a pipe because some was made with a screw in bowl. Just do a search for a screw in bowl for pipes and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Chuck 

Is it made of Brass?

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

.It appears there are two paths for transport -- lower ornate one and upper plain (circularly cylindrical) one.  If so (i.e. both are hollow), this is probably an indication of its utility.  Either that or it’s expected to see a lot of torque and that upper strut is simply for strength (although that seems unlikely).  I'm probably not helping much in ID'ing it....

It appears that only the horizontal narrow tube allows airflow, and it’s only about 1/16 inch wide.