Beach Program Questions.

Rattlehead

Next week I'll be going on vacation to Gulf Shores Alabama and hoping to try my hand at beach detecting while I'm there. In all my 35+ years of detecting, I've never once had my detector on a beach, so this will be brand new for me. I'd like to set up a beach program that at least sounds and behaves similar to my go-to land program, which is Fast with pitch tones. Is it as simple as loading up the beach program and making the tone adjustments, or is there other settings that I need to fine tune? Also, I want to concentrate on targets in the gold range without digging too much clad or other high conductors. My time there will be limited so I'm willing to give up most silver jewelry and even some tiny earring sized gold jewelry just to cut down on the number of targets I dig. I'm mostly looking for gold rings. So, I was thinking of setting up a notch pattern that accepts 40-75? What are your thoughts? I'm using version .71 if that matters.

If there's any other beach hunting tips or tricks you want to throw my way, I'd appreciate it! The only thing I really know is that I don't plan on going INTO the water. I'll be looking for hard packed wet sand. I'm a total noob at this! I realize my chances of actually finding a gold ring are pretty slim. Just want to check this off of my bucket list.

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

Next week I'll be going on vacation to Gulf Shores Alabama and hoping to try my hand at beach detecting while I'm there. In all my 35+ years of detecting, I've never once had my detector on a beach, so this will be brand new for me. I'd like to set up a beach program that at least sounds and behaves similar to my go-to land program, which is Fast with pitch tones. Is it as simple as loading up the beach program and making the tone adjustments, or is there other settings that I need to fine tune? Also, I want to concentrate on targets in the gold range without digging too much clad or other high conductors. My time there will be limited so I'm willing to give up most silver jewelry and even some tiny earring sized gold jewelry just to cut down on the number of targets I dig. I'm mostly looking for gold rings. So, I was thinking of setting up a notch pattern that accepts 40-75? What are your thoughts? I'm using version .71 if that matters.

If there's any other beach hunting tips or tricks you want to throw my way, I'd appreciate it! The only thing I really know is that I don't plan on going INTO the water. I'll be looking for hard packed wet sand. I'm a total noob at this! I realize my chances of actually finding a gold ring are pretty slim. Just want to check this off of my bucket list.

Thanks!

With 35 years of experience under your belt, I doubt you'll find it that hard to unearth any pieces 🫢...

However, if you are used to pitch tone, you can try P13 Beach P and maybe modify something to stabilize a bit on the wetsand.

Recently there was some discussion about lowering the A.R. to 3-4 and instead raising the audio filter to 4-5 , as well as keeping the reactivity a bit higher if you don't want too much audio noise.

I have found it useful to raise it up to 1.5 sometimes, but I only use the Deus2 on the seabed 😌.

I'd rather avoid any notch and high disc.level.

Instead, decide to dig or not after checking the ID...

30 To 65 should be ok for most of the shines☢️

P.S. I forgot about your software version🤐...

What I'm talking about is possible with the 1.0/1.1 update, sorry😐

• Thanks 1

I'm no beach expert by any means and I'm sure those guys will chime in soon, but gold rings can fall almost anywhere on the VDI scale. Many say the sweet spot is between 35-80, but I found a 10K class ring recently that rang in at a solid 82 and a friend of mine dug a honking heavy 14K gold band square in the zinc penny range (85-86), so I agree with Skullgolddiver that notching is not really advised, but if you must, I'd just notch the low end at about 30-40 and leave the high end open. You'll probably miss small and thin gold rings, but it cuts out foil pretty well.

I set up a Beach program based on Beach P (Factory Program 13) with no notch in High Sqr Pitch tones and an identical program saved next to it in High Sqr Full tones to check targets. Pitch tends to make everything sound good, but if it sounds good in Full tones it probably is good. 😎 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the helpful replies. In that case, I'll take your advice and keep everything above foil open. Will see how bad zincs are before deciding to dig those higher signals or not. I'll also try the trick of setting up a full tones program next door to the one running pitch. 

Thanks again! If I get lucky and score some yellow, I'll post it here. 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

However, if you are used to pitch tone, you can try P13 Beach P and maybe modify something to stabilize a bit on the wetsand.

19 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Pitch tends to make everything sound good,

I personally do not like Beach P. and never use it.

23 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

So, I was thinking of setting up a notch pattern that accepts 40-75? What are your thoughts? I'm using version .71 if that matters.

Not good! I have a verified white gold ring 14k that put up a TID of 98-99. Most gold rings TID higher than 40. [chains under 40]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

he only thing I really know is that I don't plan on going INTO the water. I'll be looking for hard packed wet sand. I'm a total noob at this! I realize my chances of actually finding a gold ring are pretty slim.

I highly recommend going with Beach Sensitive. Anything else would handicap you on any small gold and chains. Magnetic Accept, reactivity .5 to 1.0, Salt Sense 7, Audio R-6, Tracking GB, Silencer and bottlecap-0, Iron volume 3. If you are going to try to skip targets, knock out penny's and up.  

What size coil?????

GOOD LUCK!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If there's any other beach hunting tips or tricks you want to throw my way

On fringe targets that will not TID. Watch for a number even if only one in 10 swings. Trust the number. Also look at a particular target in higher sensitivity than you are hunting in. Example if you can hunt in 90 sensitivity, raise to 94 just to look at that target. 
Take a scoop of sand out if needed too. Noise cancel in front of every new hotel or complex. 

Good Luck!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, midalake said:

I highly recommend going with Beach Sensitive. Anything else would handicap you on any small gold and chains. Magnetic Accept, reactivity .5 to 1.0, Salt Sense 7, Audio R-6, Tracking GB, Silencer and bottlecap-0, Iron volume 3. If you are going to try to skip targets, knock out penny's and up.  

What size coil?????

GOOD LUCK!!!! 

Thanks for the tips! I only have the 9" coil, but my hunting partner has both the 11" and 13X11" that I could borrow. The 13"er is a little nose heavy for me, so I may just borrow the 11" from him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

Thanks for the tips! I only have the 9" coil, but my hunting partner has both the 11" and 13X11" that I could borrow. The 13"er is a little nose heavy for me, so I may just borrow the 11" from him.

I love my 9" coil but haven't got to the the beaches with it yet. I got the the 11" a few months ago and really like it as well, so If I get to go beach hunting soon, I'm taking both with me. 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, midalake said:

I personally do not like Beach P. and never use it.

As far as I can tell Beach Sens and Beach P have identical settings except for Beach Sens has 0 Reactivity and 3 Tones and Beach P has 1.5 Reactivity and Pitch Tones.

I usually hunt in Full Tones, and check with Pitch Tones, but I figured I'd reverse that and hunt in Pitch with 0 Reactivity, because targets are usually sparse, and check with Full Tones. Is it better to go with 2 or 3 Tones?