Rubber Tips For Pinpointers

3 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

1980,  No forums, No internet, No Pin pointers.  NEVER SEEN Shovels being used, Did see plenty of screw drivers.  You sure wanted to leave a nice plug to return to the hole. SOoo learn how to pin point with the detector, YES you can do it.  Forward to 2015 I got a double D coil and I thought I was gonna need a PP.  Got one but then soon found out you can pp a double D  as easy as with a concentric coil.  (Screw driver) popping shallow coins is so much easier than a trowel dig.  I have watched people dig a basket ball size hole only to find the coin on the ground next to the huge hole.  I have tried to show some people how much LESS WORK doing a detector PP is.  OH, right, Ah wearing a hole in the PP, People can't even PP with a PP.  Anyone angry with me yet? 

So what's your point?  I don't think anyone here needs any advice on how to dig a hole. This is not a forum that needs angry people anyways. Besides, they usually don't last here too long. The topic was about using a protective cap on your pinpointer.

• Like 1

I wore a hole right through my pinpointer and sent it off for a rebuild, it was not cheap if I remember right. I now use a 5 minute epoxy coating on the tip. If you don't have a fishing rod dryer just spin it slow by hand until the epoxy hardens, 5 minutes will seem like an eternity. Its been on mine for the last ten years and works great.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2023 at 7:21 PM, PimentoUK said:

So, while we're off-topic, here's a few reasons to have a pinpointer, and a few disadvantages:
older pinpointer thread

Thanks for putting that link up Pimento!👍

Under your post back than, is mine! And this is the same pinpointer still going strong! Just snapped this pic!! Same coating, newer tip cover, and newer bungee, and hundreds, if not thousands more times used!🍀👍👍

20230913_115602.jpg

• Like 3

My rant was more in jest. But really what would you do if you forgot your PP at home?  How much effort do you put into a accurate detector PP?   Seriously we used to be able to get very close.  I guess we just didn't want to dig so much to recover the target.  That's where the screw driver came in.  Granted when I finally got a PP'er after 30 years not having one I was happy with it right from the start.  I just never used it to dig with.  I never have used a shovel because I can PP close enough to just use a trowel.  It's got to be one heck of a pain carrying a shovel. 

• Like 1

Regardless of the old days, the pinpointer; and associated issues, are here to stay! A little wear and tear is no biggie, and easily delt with! And used, or new one's are easily had, if a replacement is needed!!🍀👍👍

• Like 3

I get out detecting at least 2 times a week, and up to several. Of all the detectors I've had, the built in pinpointer is as good as the coil size, that's not good enough for me.

When hunting I want to make the most of my time, so retrieval speed is a major factor.

When relic hunting I generally bring two pinpointers, one that discriminates and the one I use to initially locate the target. They both have some sort of tip protection, I am not aware of any loss of detection or discrimination capability. Sand scoops make short work on the beach.

A tip protector is the same as a coil cover to me, why not have an additional disposable layer on a fairly expensive device? If you put it up for sale later, for sure the protected one will sell faster and for more money. 🤔

• Like 4