(updated) A Really Good Relic Site, Second Trip With The Equinox 800

44 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Beautiful history saves.

Thanks Gerry!

• Like 1

That's a really nice Trime.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:28 PM, abenson said:

That was #16 but I've since found other.

I try not to correct people's grammar/spelling here but this one is intriguing (possibly intentional?)  "other" is missing either the letters 'an' at the beginning, or the letter 's' at the end.  Either way I'm more than blown away b the magnitude of your accomplishments.

21 hours ago, abenson said:

This was trip number 2 in the Fall of last year. Still using the Equinox 800. Got it to more concentrations of finds. Highlight was an 1857 +dime and 1851 trime.

Both common dates but the dime sure is high grade.  The strike looks variable -- quite strong on the left and top; weak on the right.  Still a lot of detail there and a rare find in such condition.

The trime is the first year of mintage, which tends to be either feast (e.g. 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter) or famine for the collector/detectorist when it comes to intrinsic value.  As has often been the case with less-than-popular denominations, the first couple of years are the highest mintage, then they trail off and eventually the series gets canceled.

Regardless, both are bucket-listers for many of us (me in particular).  Andrew, thanks always for your reports and I look forward to more of your posts in this series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I try not to correct people's grammar/spelling here but this one is intriguing (possibly intentional?)  "other" is missing either the letters 'an' at the beginning, or the letter 's' at the end.  Either way I'm more than blown away b the magnitude of your accomplishments.

Both common dates but the dime sure is high grade.  The strike looks variable -- quite strong on the left and top; weak on the right.  Still a lot of detail there and a rare find in such condition.

The trime is the first year of mintage, which tends to be either feast (e.g. 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter) or famine for the collector/detectorist when it comes to intrinsic value.  As has often been the case with less-than-popular denominations, the first couple of years are the highest mintage, then they trail off and eventually the series gets canceled.

Regardless, both are bucket-listers for many of us (me in particular).  Andrew, thanks always for your reports and I look forward to more of your posts in this series.

Chuck, Thanks for the comments and corrections needed in my spelling. I get typing too fast and leave stuff out or add things that shouldn't be there. Typing has never been a strength of mine.

Yes they are common dates. But I'm always excited to see these older coins come to light. Getting harder and harder to find them.

• Like 1